Critique Kennedy Space Center - Saturn V Rocket (IMAGE HEAVY)

Real Name
Matt
Today is the 50th anniversary of one of my favorite moments in world history: the launch of the Saturn V rocket that would ultimately carry Apollo 11 and its occupants to the moon. It only seemed fitting that I share a few pictures of the Saturn V rocket on display at Kennedy Space Center.

The first shows the actual control room that was in service during the launch of Apollo 11. They have a very neat show that takes place in this room just before you enter the large room with the Saturn V rocket.

The second set (#2-6) shows the main stage of the Saturn V rocket with a few more detailed pictures of the mechanics on the Rocketdyne F1 engines. Each engine had a dry weight of almost 20,000lbs BUT produced roughly 1.5 million lbs of thrust. Combined thrust was just over 7.5 million pounds.

The third set (#7-8) shows the service module that was inside one of the final stages of the rocket.

The fourth set (#9-12) shows the second stage as well as the top of the first stage, where you can see the tank that stored over 300,000 gallons of liquid oxygen, the fuel was stored in a smaller tank just below it. You can also see the very top of the second stage.

Image #13 shows the Apollo 14 command module, this was sent into space with the service module that was in pictures #7-8.

The final image shows Apollo 11 flight plans.

Nikon D800
Tokina 16-28 f2.8
CC is welcome, EXIF available on Flickr.

1:
48300910266_8b457f4652_h.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Kennedy Space Center by Matt Yates, on Flickr

2:
48301014747_afe5e60154_h.jpg

3:
48301007012_177e7fcc1e_h.jpg

4:
48300936676_11f63fb93a_h.jpg

5:
48300935106_44bda4a522_h.jpg

6:
48301037227_a8dfbda6d5_h.jpg

7:
48300933491_96f8a1f5c6_h.jpg

8:
48300932381_67b3ab4613_h.jpg

9:
48301033767_6a91982748_h.jpg

10:
48301031792_2fe92bcdaa_h.jpg

11:
48300914921_283432041e_h.jpg

12:
48300922066_9809af20e7_h.jpg

13:
48300912581_42772bf104_h.jpg

14:
48301019127_082fdc51ea_h.jpg

Real Name
Ken St John
Thanks so much for sharing!! Great photos and obviously very timely!!

I remember being 19 years old and sitting in the living room watching this whole mission unfold. In addition to my parents, my grandmother was also watching. Having been born in 1900, three years before the Wright Brothers, she was amazed that at age 69 she was watching a man on the moon on live TV!! (She lived to 97 ... I hope I have a few of her genes!!)

It's also jaw dropping to know that the computer power we have in an iPhone or a late model car/truck FAR exceeds anything they used to go to the moon!!

Ken

Wonderful series and, of course, very timely. It's especially difficult to get such good images in a museum.

I was working my way through college on a summer job parking cars in a lot when the lunar landing occurred. One of my co-workers explained why the moon landing had to have been a hoax: "If God had wanted men on the moon, he would have put them there instead of the Earth when he created it 2000 years ago." (Sigh)

Last edited:
Real Name
Andy
The Saturn V is a very impressive work of engineering. I was the ripe age of one when the historic Apollo XI mission flew, and only four when XVII, the last moon mission, splashed down. I came of age more during the Space Shuttle era, but the earliest space missions were the ones that originally inspired and continue to fuel my love of aviation.

This is a wonderful set of images and reminds me that I'm overdue for another visit to Cape Canaveral.

I was on the shoreline, as close as you could get. My uncle had some type of security pass that got us through 2 sets of gates, going closer and closer.
I was 15. I still remember everything. I do not believe I understood the importance of what I was witnessing. Yes, I was a teenager. I was bored waiting in the florida summer heat.
But then- WOW.
I was into model rockets at the time. At liftoff I remember my head tracking upward- with the experience of tracking a small model. There was nothing up there to see. As I brought my head down, the Saturn V was only just clearing the launchpad. Then the vibrations hit. Then the sound. WOW. It seemed to take forever to slowly move upward- and then it was gone.
Thanks for bringing back memories.
Gary

By the way- I love image 13. Love it. Wish I could have it big on my wall. Only live 2 hours from the museum and might go over just for that shot.
Did I say I liked it. Please print it and let others enjoy a memory. Very nicely rendered as well.
By the way, I would get rid of the window and wall on the right. Maybe the lights as well. I took the liberty of 10 seconds in photoshop to see if it helped. I think it did. Just my opinion.
I post it here just as a quick example, will remove it if you want- but you did ask for critique.
Without the background it stands by itself, not obviously in a showcase or museum.
Most moving picture I have seen in a while.
Thanks for sharing it.
Gary

48300912581_42772bf104_h.jpg

Real Name
Matt
Thanks for the kind words everyone, it was a pretty spectacular sight. I'm young (28) so I never got to live through an event quite as amazing and awe-inspiring as the Saturn V Apollo program, I'm looking forward to the possibility of us launching back to the moon in a few years though!

If you're near Kennedy or any other Space / Science museum, I'd highly suggest checking it out.

By the way- I love image 13. Love it. Wish I could have it big on my wall. Only live 2 hours from the museum and might go over just for that shot.
Did I say I liked it. Please print it and let others enjoy a memory. Very nicely rendered as well.
By the way, I would get rid of the window and wall on the right. Maybe the lights as well. I took the liberty of 10 seconds in photoshop to see if it helped. I think it did. Just my opinion.
I post it here just as a quick example, will remove it if you want- but you did ask for critique.
Without the background it stands by itself, not obviously in a showcase or museum.
Most moving picture I have seen in a while.
Thanks for sharing it.
Gary

Thanks Gary! I agree with your assessment of the window, wall, and light. I guess at the time I edited it, I didn't really notice.

If you'd like I'd be happy to share the full resolution image with you for personal use.

Side note, if you're only 2 hours away I'd make a special trip back soon, they've made some pretty incredible changes over the years from what I understand and they're releasing more interesting things soon as well. I still have more photos from the trip to share, these are just Apollo/Saturn related.

Latest threads

Top Bottom