Kestrel and Grasshopper

Discussion in 'Birds' started by hangin tree, Jun 14, 2007.

1. This give a idea of the size of this Falcon.

Feed the chick Grasshopper.

Kestrelgrasshopper.

2. Enough Gary - - you're too good. This is not fair. My humble photos do not belong in this forum. I wish I could delete my first post. With stuff like this around I can't handle the pressure.

Amazing shot.

Lil :)

3. Lil

It is about having fun not competion!!! :rolleyes:

4. True - but your shots are just too amazing. ;-)

Lil

5. Thank you very much Now I'll go to bed with a big head!!!:smile::smile:

6. WOW! Gary you just keep on bringing these beauties on and I keep getting frustrated over not finding some beauties of my own! GRRRR! :wink: Wonderful captures as always! :tongue::biggrin:

7. Exactly, well said, but this is a kick a$$ shot!

8. tech1961

tech1961

Jan 28, 2007
    Houston Tx.
    Great stuff Gary. I can't seem to find any Kestrels arond this year. I saw a few during the winter but I was never able to get a good shot. Almost everytime I see them they are on a power line or lightpost.

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
  10. Thanks JR

11. They are quite plentiful but hard to find nests because they don't stay very long and are quite busy and active. When they do sit they are generally looking for prey

12. That is a great shot Gale

13. Lil,
    Think of it as a FREE lesson on how to get better - I do.

Gary,
    Super shots! You certainly blessed with a variety of birds up in your neck of the woods.

14. Looks like you got a nice nesting there Gary and doing great with it. For anyones information the American Kestrel is the smallest falcon in North America and the second smallest in the world. I think there is one in the UK or some place over there that has one just a bit smaller. A lot of people call them a sparrow hawk.
    Looking foward to some more from this nest Gary as so far they have been very good.
    Lou

15. I count blessings every day!!!

I just have the pleasure to capture part of nature

thanks Nick

16. Thanks Lou

It is indeed and one of the reasons I'm focusing on them. I would say the are about as big as your fist and very fast fliers. They are also one of the most colorful of the Hawks/Falcons.