Critique Kestrel and (I think) a Swainson's Hawk

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Cima2oo7, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Cima2oo7

Cima2oo7

Aug 11, 2007
    Mountain Home, ID
    Mark
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  2. Bigger is better unless the bird is just part of the pic
    1 is a good crop for composition
    #2 is too dark
    3 is headed the wrong way

• Like Like x 1
  3. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    The lighting and focus on #1 is very good. I agree with Randy in that a tighter crop would create a stronger image.

In #2, the subject is backlit, thus the body and feather details are in shadow.

#3 is a nice flight shot - the eye looks nicely in focus. I'd remove the black line/shadow on the ground just behind the bird. It would really help if you list the settings for each image, including shutter speed and ISO. Many of us shoot in manual using auto ISO. Setting a fast shutter speed is critical in capturing sharp BIF shots. Steve Perry recommended 1/3200 when using the D500, but with larger, slower birds that speed could come down a bit. Are you using AF-On to set focus?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Cima2oo7

Cima2oo7

Aug 11, 2007
    Mountain Home, ID
    Mark
    I am still getting the hang of editing in terms of how much crop is too much but I did a much tighter crop on number 1.
    37553300636_1e0d157988_b. Perched Kestrel v.2 by Mark Cima, on Flickr

Settings for the one in flight were ISO 100, 1/800 f/5.6

5. way better

• Like Like x 1
  6. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Better composition on #1.

1/800 is very slow for BIF. Cropping depends of the intended use of the image. WeB? Small files are OK? Want to print? Larger files needed.

Also, really try setting shutter speed and aperture in manual mode, then using auto ISO, matrix metering and exposure compensation as needed. Also, AF On takes focusing off the shutter button.....

7. Cima2oo7

Cima2oo7

Aug 11, 2007
    Mountain Home, ID
    Mark
    Oh, yes AF-On = back button focus. Yes thats what I use. Its kinda funny how everyone has their method that works for them. This was literally my second time shooting birds as the primary subject. Everything I read online says to use Aperture Priority, but fortunately, the bird center is only a half hour drive from me, so next time, I will try full manual. I want to get the practice in now for when I go out and try to get "real" nature photos of wild birds.

8. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    You are progressing just fine!!! Better than I when I first started! LOL!

When I shot general travel photos and a few landscapes, I always shot aperture priority. But with birds, high shutters speeds are needed. Thank goodness for auto ISO. But high ISO's create noise. Hence I had to reduce apertures...and that gave me shallower DOFs and better blurred the backgrounds!

Exposures are always a trade off of aperture, shutter speed and ISO. Now my problem is I am focused on high shutter speeds, so that I am "ready" for action shots...and then THIS image is in front of me! I blew it! WAY to high shutter speed and hence a crazy high ISO. But I could "save" the image in post. What I learned? Constantly be evaluating you subject and selecting the appropriate shutter speed for the moment.

HOWEVER...if I didn't consistently have a high shutter speed, I would have missed THIS sequence!

Live and learn....

Learning more about your subjects and being able to anticipate behavior will also be a great help!

9. Cima2oo7

Cima2oo7

Aug 11, 2007
    Mountain Home, ID
    Mark
    First of all, VERY nice photos! Second, being that Im in the Air Force, they encourage volunteering for higher annual performance reports. Higher performance reports means abetter chance at promotion. So I am planning to start volunteering at the birds of prey refuge to 1. help me get promoted, 2. I love raptors and the chance to work with them is amazing, and 3. hopefully better chances at photo ops.

10. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    I admire you. Thank you for your service!

11. Cima2oo7

Cima2oo7

Aug 11, 2007
    Mountain Home, ID
    Mark
    Thank you. It helps pay the bills and pay for my hobbies. I just need another deployment so I can get another lens lol!

12. Binnur

Binnur

Oct 4, 2017
    Izmir / Turkey
    The crop works much better (y)