Kestrel from Sanibel

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Gordon Large, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

I just got back from a week in Sanibel (SW Florida). It was a family trip, not a photo session, but I still managed to fire off 850+ images. As I cull and process them over the next few weeks I might even find some keepers! :biggrin: Here are the first two. Slammed on the brakes and parked on a sidewalk when I saw this guy up in a tree. Enjoy.

Gordon

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice images Gordon. So you went to Sanibel this week and Viera in a month. You are definitely living right. :smile:

3. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Gordon,
    I've never seen one of these birds out on Sanibel. I'm going out to Ding Darling in the morning and I'll definitely start looking for this guy.

Post those other bird images. I'm eager to see what you got. Where did you go to shoot?

Happy New Year!

Gaye

4. Oh my - one of my favourite birds. You lucky dog...

5. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks, Frank. Yeah, life is really getting me down. :wink: Hey, all year long I have to look at all the great birds you and the Florida gang shoot all year, so no grief when I manage two whole weeks! :mad: More seriously, the first was great and I expect Viera to be even better! :biggrin:

Gordon

6. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi Gale -

I found this guy while driving on West Gulf Drive from Rabbit toward Tarpon. He was in a tree on the left not far from Tarpon. Maybe a stray from the Baily tract?

I spent almost all my shooting time in DD, plus a few shots on the beach in front of our condo. I was lucky and caught low tide in fairly late afternoon sun. It was interesting watching the birds gradually moving to the West as the tide came in. I probably made a huge mistake posting this guy first. These are the first decent kestrel shots I've ever captured, and at first run-through they may be the best images I got on the trip. But I've got some others that are at least passable......:rolleyes:

Happy New Year to you too!

Gordon

7. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hey Rory - One of my favorites too, and finding him was total luck. If there had been any traffic he would have caused a multiple-car crash. These are the first decent kestrel shots I've ever captured, and yes my pulse rate was way up there. :smile:

Gordon

8. beautifully done Gordon, some of the best images of an American Kestrel I have seen.

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Way to go Gordon,
    Not an easy find or catch when you do find them.. They are gone in a flash.

10. Very nice Gordon!

11. Johntu

Johntu

Jul 4, 2005
    Fremont, CA
    Nice capture, Gordon...I saw one yesterday but I did not have my camera with me :(

12. Gordon
    Great shots of one of my favorite birdes cant wat for Viera. BTW heading to Conowingo tomorrow mornign if you want to meet

13. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

That's a strong statement! Thanks.

Gordon

14. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Gale. I'll take some credit for the capture (I had to do some pretty serious stalking to get close enough), but the the finding was pure luck. My motto has always been "better to be lucky than smart." Hope that works when I go to buy lottery tickets for tonight's Power Ball drawing. :biggrin:

Gordon

15. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Dave -

Gordon

16. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks John. That will teach you not to carry your camera at all times. I should talk. I've learned that lesson a zillion times and still forget more often than not. :biggrin:

Gordon

17. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Another great looking Raptor and great images to show him off!

18. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Mike. But I can't go to Conowingo tomorrow because I'm going to Barnegat with Harris (if the weather is OK). Want to change your plans and join us? If so, I'll have to contact Harris to find out what our ETA is.

Gordon

19. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Ben. IMO the Kestrel is by far the most beautiful raptor (beautiful, mot majestic etc.). I was just plain lucky to find this guy.

Gordon