Ketsia Returns To The Studio (with images)

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by TMR Design, Jul 29, 2008.

1. I really enjoy creating images with my good friend Ketsia (pronounced Keesha). This shoot was primarily to model clothes for a designer. This particular designer did not want generic looking lighting or poses but did want a high fashion look.

I'm not sure if I achieved exactly what she was looking for but I'm very pleased with the images and so is Ketsia. Regardless of that, these images will be a nice addition to her portfolio.

Setup and lighting for these shots was fairly simple. I'm using 2 strobes behind black gobos to light my white seamless paper behind the subject from ceiling to floor. I'm using a large softbox on my main light which is about 30 degrees off the camera's axis and about 30 degrees up and 4 feet from the subject. The falloff from that light helps bring up the seamless underneath the subject and I also have a kicker coming in from the side and just lightly hitting her legs but not directly on her legs so as to avoid additional shadows on the floor. There is no fill light for any of these shots.

I should also mention that these were shot with the 18-70mm and regardless of its 'consumer grade' status it performed beautifully and I'm pretty sure that if I didn't tell you (and didn't publish EXIF data, lolol) that you would never know or guess.

Pro gear helps but it's sooooo not about the gear.

There are additional images I'd like to post but unfortunately they are a bit too risqué. Tasteful, but risqué.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a link to an image that was inappropriate to post here:
    http://robertmitchellphotography.zenfolio.com/img/v1/p696408406.jpg

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2008
  2. mosier

mosier

Apr 29, 2008
    NYC
    Stunning!

3. itsmike

itsmike

Mar 2, 2008
    Greenlawn NY
    Nice Shots Rob!

4. lazijay

lazijay

Jul 27, 2008
    Salinas, CA
    Beautiful shots Rob!

5. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

excellent ....that lens is just fine for this. just look at what Woody gets with his 18-200 in the studio.....well done Robert...;-)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2008
  6. Thank you all. Glad you're enjoying my work with Ketsia. She's a lot of fun.

7. Excellent work Robert!

8. Gorgeous images Robert, the lighting you used works great for these!
    As for the lens used: who cares, it is all about the image and these are great!

9. KG72

KG72 Guest

Great shots!

10. Robert,
    what fantastic images
    Ketsia is beautiful

a wonderful series
    thanks for sharing them with us

11. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    Excellent series! You did a great job with the lighting.

Any info on how you lit the shots? Seamless paper background?

12. Thank you Mike. I really appreciate that.

Absolutely Frits. It's all about creativity and a vision. If those are in place you can shoot with almost anything.

Thanks Kayne

My pleasure Greg. Thank you for the kind words. :smile:

13. keko

keko

Jul 20, 2007
    Barcelona
    Rob,

simply incredible. Lovely model, and excellent work. Wow!!!

Look forward to your next series.

Thanks.

14. Thank you Luis,

I'll pass on the kind words to Ketsia.

15. Hi Pete (and others)

This is my setup for shooting on pure white, either as a background or for full length shots. Very simple and straight forward.

[​IMG]

16. Wonderful shots! The 18-70 is right up there with the sharpest lenses when stopped down a little bit! I am not surprised at all that you got great shots in the studio with it. I sometimes regret a little bit having had to sell mine.

17. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Well done Robert, you did great. Lovely model, wonderful images.

18. Love the pure white background. Beautiful model. Nicely done. #3 is my fave!

19. Hey Shaun,

It's funny... when I got the 18-70mm I never imagined using it in the studio but it's now become my short portrait lens. If I'm going to shoot at 35mm or longer then I switch to the 35-70mm but for those full length shots in tighter spaces there's nothing like the 24-30mm range(on a DX body) and the 18-70mm seems to do very nicely at ~f/8.

20. Thank you Robert and Anthony. It was a very fun shoot.