1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Kew Gardens, London (many images)

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by rotxlk82, Sep 13, 2008.

1. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Here are my images from Kew Gardens (southwest London), I shot these a couple of weeks ago while spending a week holidaying it the city. Kew is the UK’s leading botanical garden and is in my opinion one of the nicest places to shoot greenery and formal gardens in the country.

Ideally I would have spent an entire day shooting seriously with a tripod, self timer etc however being with my family I didn’t have the time to hang around and get things ‘just right’. I’m not entirely sure that they understand the unusual compulsion I have to photograph flowers; I guess that makes them ‘normal people’!

Everything here is handheld and taken in a bit of a rush, I shot film and digital simultaneously so that I could keep my Sigma 105mm safely on my D50 for dedicated close-up shots while my Nikkor 28mm and new 55mm could deal with wider aspects on my 35mm FA.

Questions and comments are most welcome, thanks for looking!

First Victorian greenhouse:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The water lily house:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Treetop walk (this is a new feature to the gardens; it’s an elevated walkway that allows visitors to walk at the level of the highest trees while viewing the garden):

[​IMG]

Second Victorian greenhouse:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Outside, the various formal gardens:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Modern greenhouse:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Counter

Counter

Sep 18, 2007
    London
    Very impressive work Robert. I so nearly went to Kew today myself but ended up at Richmond Park instead.

3. Great shots Robert, i have been meaning to go to Kew for some time but always end up wandering around Richmond Park. sorry, but i cant single one out, they are all very good.

4. first of all, Robert
    i LOVE the above statement
    i think that a lot of us around here (no, probably ALL of us, can identify with it)

secondly...
    AWESOME SERIES OF IMAGES
    they are really, really nice

5. these 2 are my favorite
    which i'll show here...
    since you didn't NUMBER them... :tongue::tongue::tongue:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ArtO

ArtO

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    Beautiful series. I'm guessing your family is rather patient or you're one of the fastest photographers around. It looks like a wonderful place to visit.

7. Oh Robert! Thanks so much for posting this series from Kew - felt like a great tour. I love the idea of the treetop walkway. The US Botanic garden has one in their jungle room. Yes, we are soulmates apparently when it comes to our compulsion for shooting blooms! These are fabulous. I too thought the ones highlighted by Greg were phenomenal. I also love the feel and comp of the dewy leaves right off the bat. Additionally, the first of the yellow flowers. I see those around here in brilliant orange and have YET to capture a compelling image of them. Finally, the pink lily near the end was fantastic.

8. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Thanks for looking. I was really impressed with Kew and I hope to go back one day. I hope you had a nice time at Richmond Park, it looks like a really good place on the web.

Wow, another fan of Richmond Park! It must be a good place. Perhaps I should make the effort to visit next time I'm in London. Thanks for looking.

The non-photographers just don't get it do they... I would have been even slower had I not been endlessly nagged to "get a move on!"

I like those two as well Greg, I had to wait a while for the other visitors to get out of the way and even then I only had a little while to get the shots before a whole load more turned up.

Sorry I didn't number them, I was planning to but it slipped my mind.

Thanks. I was happy with the results that I got, however I can't help feeling that they'd be that bit better if I had more time. I guess I'll just have to go back.

9. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Thanks Rich, I knew you were looking forward to looking at these so I’m very glad you were impressed by my efforts.

If you ever find yourself on this little island I strongly advise you to visit Kew to shamelessly indulge your bloom shooting needs, there really isn’t a better place in the country to do it! There are literally thousands of things to photograph for those of us inflicted with our unfortunate ‘condition’, it might be a little unfair to subject your nearest and dearest to it however as I said they just don’t ‘get’ it!

I have a couple more images to show everyone which I will get processed soon (including several which show the overhead walkway a little better) however these are the cream of the days shoot and I didn’t want to keep you waiting any longer.

Thanks again. R.

10. Crave

Crave Guest

Nice serie you´ve got here!!

11. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Thanks! :smile:

Glad you enjoyed looking.

12. Normal is as Normal Does

Ideally I would have spent an entire day shooting seriously with a tripod, self timer etc however being with my family I didn’t have the time to hang around and get things ‘just right’. I’m not entirely sure that they understand the unusual compulsion I have to photograph flowers; I guess that makes them ‘normal people’!

Sorry - but you got it wrong; WE are the 'normal people', who take time to take the photos. I will agree with Greg S about 2 of the best and add that I also like #2, with the regular pattern of leaves.

13. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    I'm glad you think this way Alvin, I like your style.

Thanks for looking at my thread.

14. kiankheong

kiankheong

Nov 19, 2007
    Malaysia
    A paradise for any botanists.

15. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Paradise indeed. Thanks for looking!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.