Keyboard advice please?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mart61, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Hi guys

I fancy buying a new keyboard and mouse for the computer. Has anyone got any recommendations?

I've looked at a few of Microsoft's offerings but am not sure whether I should go wired or wireless. I never move my keyboard and/or mouse away from the drawer in my desk so can't really see any benefit of having a wireless set-up. Are there any pluses?

What are you guys using and what would you recommend I look at? Microsoft? Logitech? Anything else?

2. JustEd

JustEd

Jul 21, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    A wireless mouse is always handy to avoid cord tangles. A couple of years ago I used a Logitech cordless keyboard and mouse with good success on a PC desktop (well on a cart actually). No experience with current models though.

3. I would go with what is most comfortable.

Personally I prefer logitech mouses. I've had my Logitech mx518 mouse for over three years. Logitech keyboards (G15 and the Media Keyboard) don't seem to last as long. I've often replaced my keyboard at least once a year, but the keyboards are very comfortable to use. I now use a Dynex keyboard (Best Buy brand), it serves its purpose well and can take quite a beating, but it really isn't comfortable.

I prefer wired keyboards and wired mouses, but I have had good experiences with wireless keyboards and mouses.

Also how much are you looking to spend?

4. Logitech has worked well for me. I use the optical, i do not know how well the laser one works, but the optical works on most any surface or fabric. I have the back and forward buttons on mine, and can't live without them mow.

5. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
  6. i often wonder how long the batteries last in those cordless keyboards

7. I love my logitech trackball

and I love the saitek eclispe keyboards :)

8. I have a logitech wireless keyboard and mouse at work and use it 6 hrs per day 5-6 days per week. Works beautifully. AA batteries last 2 months on the average, more slightly for the keyboard than the mouse. I would never go back to wired ones in the future, after experiencing the mess the wires used to create.

9. Delta_Mike

Delta_Mike

Dec 27, 2007
    San Francisco
    My preference is for a corded keyboard and a cordless mouse. I love the cordless Microsoft laser mouse I just bought. It's great on just about any surface and is very accurate. Just what you need when you're deep in Photoshop.

10. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Randy,

I am very interested. Have you had any complications connecting to the MacPro? That is the machine I am considering this mouse for, as well. I presently use the white Apple mouse, both wireless and wired (use both). I am not crazy about them. :redface:

11. I'm not sure if it will work but I'm pretty partial to the wired and keyboard mouse that comes with the Apple iMACs. It is connected via USB so it "should" work.

12. that is excellent news
    i really appreciate your reply and info
    thanks

13. Longer than they do in the iPhone! :wink:

Ralph

14. RadarPing

RadarPing

Feb 14, 2007
    Conroe, Texas
    I have the Saitek Eclipse II back lit keyboard and love it. It works well with lowered lighting in the room. They sell mice too but have not tried them.

15. I use both Logitech and MS cordless KBs and Mice. I rate them a toss up. Shop price.

16. I use the wireless Logitech MX1000 pictured above. I love it a lot. Despite some early Logitech issues with OS X, it's good now. Besides all the normal features of the best mice, I can activate Spaces and Widgets from the mouse. It has it's own charger and battery life is exceptional. While I'm not a fan of Apple mice, I do like their wireless keyboards. No gimmick buttons you'll never use and tiny footprint. Batter life (4AA IIRC) is very good.

17. I have had my keyboard for 3+ years and I have only changed the batteries once in it.

One of the benefits of a cordless keyboard is if you need to move to clean stuff you can really easy or you can change your mind easily about where you want your keyboard where with the cords it can get a little limited if your cord doesn't reach. I would love to have a cordless mouse, but they don't make cordless rollerball mice yet.

18. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
  19. I like Microsoft's keyboards and Logitech's mice but I'd love to find this keyboard.

optimus_oled_lebedev.jpg