Kiboko Bag by Gura Gear

I created a thread a while back when I first got my Kiboko bag from Gura Gear. Since that time, I have got to play with it a bit, pack it, hike with it, etc... After ALOT of trial and error and then re-arranging things, I am VERY happy with what this pack will hold.

Gear1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This image shows EVERYTHING I currently pack in this bag. Those items are:

600VR f/4
70-200VR f/2.8
24-70 f/2.8
1.4 tc
1.7 tc
2.0 tc
D300s with grip
D300 with grip
SB-900 and its soft case
MH-22 Dual charger and cords
Powerline DC to AC invertor
Maha 8 AA battery charger and cords (soft case)
2 EN-ENL4a batteries
8 pack of AA eneloop's
4 pack of AA eneloop's
Rocker blower
Cleaning cloth
bag of wrenches and cleaning supplies
MC-30 cable release
Cables for camera's
Sekonic Light meter
Wimberely Flash bracket
SC-28 sync cord
SD-9 battery pack
Better Beamer
Think Tank CF card wallet

All of those items fit in the bag as shown below.

Gear2.jpg

Gear3.jpg

Gear7.jpg

Gear8.jpg

Gear9.jpg

Now, I still own my Think Tank Airport Security v2, which is the standard in the industry for hauling around a ton of gear, etc... I simply could NOT get all of the above listed gear into the Security without taking out all the dividers and placing all my gear in various lenscoat pouches, covers, etc...and then stack it all in there with no dividers. As much as I love the TT Security roller...My new Kiboko bag has for sure taken over as the "go to" bag for hauling my gear 99% of the time.

I CAN get all of this gear into the Kiboko and still have some empty pockets and some spaces I could use. However, the bag with the gear listed is getting heavy and honestly is more than I would ever carry on a hike, etc... Its packed now for shooting out of, i.e. not hiking in a distance, etc... When I have to hike for any distance, I remove all the non essential items, i.e. chargers, cords, etc...and this lightens my load.

I can't say enough good things about this bag. I have a few ideas on some changes that would make the bag better for ME, but that is just me and those ideas may not appeal to anyone else!

Jason,

Are there two separate sides(1 with the 400 and 1 for the rest), or do you partition them off to make 2 sides?

Thanks for your input.

Jason,

Are there two separate sides(1 with the 400 and 1 for the rest), or do you partition them off to make 2 sides?

Thanks for your input.

Keith, this bag is a butterfly design. So, it has a non removeable center divider running vertically through the bag. So, one side houses my 600VR with some of the items mentioned stored below it. On top of that compartment is another seperate area that holds items, in my case, the flash bracket and charger.

Then, on the other side of the bag, in a totally seperate compartment, the camera bodies, etc...are stored. On top of that, in like on the other side, is another area that holds more gear.

So, its basically a bag that is divided into 2 sides. Each side has a lower and upper compartment. Hope this helps.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
I love mine, and I don't stuff mine as much as Jason does. I tend to keep it flatter and not put anything much in the top zipper areas.

Thanks for sharing,

Wade

Is there any chance you could take a picture of the Kiboko with the TTP Security? I keep hearing great things about the Gura bag, and how much it fits for the size, but I haven't been able to wrap my head around how big it actually is, as I don't own any glass bigger than a 70-200. (That's about to change within the year, hence the interest.)

Is there any chance you could take a picture of the Kiboko with the TTP Security? I keep hearing great things about the Gura bag, and how much it fits for the size, but I haven't been able to wrap my head around how big it actually is, as I don't own any glass bigger than a 70-200. (That's about to change within the year, hence the interest.)

Sure, later today I will get it out and place it side by side with the Kiboko for a compairison.

Here are 2 shots to compare size. The TT bag is MUCH larger in actual size and in weight (empty). Its a wonderful roller bag, and for checked gear (if you must check it) it would be fine.

To avoid checking gear (airflight), I can get MORE into the Kiboko than I could my TT (due to configuration), and the Kiboko will fit in just about ANY plane you will ever fly in.

If flying is not your thing...the Kiboko is much easier to shoot out of in a vehicle as on the TT, you have one big lid you have to open to gain access. On the Kiboko, you open one side flap, it has a much smaller footprint. I love both bags, just right now, my Kiboko is my bag of choice.

TTvsKO1.jpg

TTvsKO2.jpg

Thanks Jason, this thread lead me on my way to ordering the smaller Kiboko (22L) today. Should work well with my sized kit and since I either shoot from the car or take short hikes, it should be perfect in use. I'll update with photos in the future, there don't seem to be a lot of shots of the 22L packed with stuff.

Real Name
Randy
It is an awesome bag, Colin used one for the farnes last year but u better be young and strong......I just sold my kinesics l511 that just held a 500 because I hate backbacks

Simply put, the Kiboko is the best bag in the world in its class. The quality of the materials and manufacturing are second to none. And this is from a guy who has used bags from Think Tank, Lowepro, Tamrac, Temba, Kata and Clik Elite.

If you prefer a shoulder bag, check out the Gura Gear Chobe. It's about the size of the Think Tank Urban Disguise 60, but much lighter and a lot more versatile.

just to be a dummy here..

wich model is it? 30L or 22L+?

:)

going to own a 400mm soon so ill need a bag for it..

Tuka, I don't know if you're serious or not, but the 22L will not accomodate a professional body or a gripped body, so I'm pretty sure that the OP's Kiboko is a 30L.

Tuka, I don't know if you're serious or not, but the 22L will not accomodate a professional body or a gripped body, so I'm pretty sure that the OP's Kiboko is a 30L.

Tuka, even if you had the 22L, the 400 2.8, 600 4.0, and (800 5.6 from Canon) will NOT FIT in this bag. The 30L is the bag to go for the bigger telephotos.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom