Kids are work!

Discussion in 'People' started by Ottrott's Human, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    We all had to be up at about 4am this morning to take my oldest to the season ending swim meet an hour away from home. It was a 6 hour event....and boy was it hot and humid! She did pretty good for her first season. This was taken right after she won her heat for breast stroke. I was so proud of her!! At the beginning of the season she could barely make it the full length of the pool!!

D2Xs / 28mm 1.4 @ f/1.8 / iso 400:
    811885249_1a5a14169f_o.

2. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    That lens is impressive. Soooooo expensive though. Might just be worth it though :biggrin:

3. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    I consider it more of an "icing on the cake" lens than a "must have". There are a lot of other, less expensive lenses that are more......*necessary*

4. I used to have a housefull of swimmers including a couple of high school record holders so I know just what you were up to today. Congratulations to your daughter. The breast stroke is hard so this is especially good.

5. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Thanks Gordon! So then you understand what I mean by first in her heat. She wasn't first overall by a long shot, but she showed great improvement during the 6 week season and winning her heat really boosted her confidence.

Record holders eh? Awesome!! I can imagine the great fun and special moments you've had raising such a large family.

6. I'm with Gordon. My 3 oldest were swimmers in high school. Two are state champions. We spent many an hour at the pool. I even became a state official. Fun days!

I like the picture. Cute daughter.

7. cuss2much

cuss2much Guest

this is a great photo to me...

8. Stuart I am finally back from NY and almost finished with the move. I am glad I took the time to see this. Hope all is well..

9. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    I'm so glad to hear that the 28mm f/1.4 isn't 'all that'. I've seen some threads and just couldn't stomach the price.

So far I'm only hauling one of my kids all over creation for soccer, but then again she's only 8, but I know what you mean. I can only hope that one of my two girls takes up swimming. It was my favorite sport for the majority of my youth. Good clean fun!

Nice DOF on the image you posted.

10. Congratulations to her. Nice photo.

11. Nice picture Stuart and congratulations :smile:

12. Shew... can I get a witness... :biggrin::tongue:

From a guy that got 3 hours sleep last night, :eek: I'll agree... but they are soooo worth it.:cool::wink:

Does this mean you wanna sell me the 28mm and let me give it a go now...? :biggrin:

13. Stuart, great shot..congrats! Soccer and swimming...how talented!! Give Anna my congrats...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2007
  14. Sam's great! Excellent color and I love the diagonals... they add just the right amount of dynamics to the composition.

Good to see you giving that glass a workout.

15. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Nice shot Stuart, and congrats to Anna. I'm sure you are very proud of your little girl.

16. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

ah, good for her..a win isa WIN...nice capture and would like to see more from this glass:biggrin:

17. Hey Stu, great to see Anna doing so well in the pool!

Say hi to Anna and Sam from Ben and Jake my friend!

Hope all is well with you..............

G :smile::smile::smile:

18. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Thanks Shellie. It's a lot of waiting around for 30 second heats, but those 30 seconds make it worthwhile!

Thank you very much Maurice. I appreciate that!

Man...seems like you've been moving for a year now!!
    Let me know when you're all settled........I'm bringing the keg and the super models.:eek:...:biggrin:

Scott, I honestly can't comment on whether this lens comes close to being worth the price of admission. This is the first time I've used it so my experience with it is very limited. I will say that by taking only this lens to the meet I was forced to think outside my normal box a bit. This shot is an example of that. had I taken a normal three lens kit I would have loaded the 85 1.4 for this shot which of course would have had completely different results and lost the, for me at least, interesting perspective that the 24 gave.

Soccer is still my favorite. Much more action!! I'm sure I'll enjoy swimming more when she becomes more competitive, but there are some really good swimmers in her age group.....I guess we started her late.

Thanks.

Thanks Roy!

Thanks Daniel!

:biggrin:Now that I've used it I may actually like it!:wink: Give me a few more weeks with it. I made a promise to myself to not take it off my camera for a month. Fortunately I just rescheduled the shoot I had lined up for this weekend!!:biggrin::biggrin:

Get some sleep!

Thanks John! I think her talents are more geared towards soccer, but she did get a Most Improved award at the award's banquet last night so we'll see......

I swear I didn't even see the diagonals when I released the shutter. That part was pure luck.
    Thanks Woody.

Thanks Fred.....yep...very proud. She's a very cool kid with an amazing sense of humor and athletic abilities out of nowhere; she definitely didn't get that from me!

True a win *is* a win and to know her is to see the huge inward smile and sense of accomplishment.
    Thanks!

Definitely an improvement over the beginning of the season. Anna and Sam say hi back to Ben and Jake!
    Thanks Graeme.

19. tcgoggans

tcgoggans Guest

Absolutely GORGEOUS skin tones! Very nice. I have had my eye on that beast of a camera for a while now. I am having acute camera lust.