1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Kids at Play using the D2X

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by Catz, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Here is one of my kids playing outside today of which was a rare nice Indian Summer weather week. I wanted to share this and practice at the same time. I shot M and added more contrast to this picture.

Hope someone likes it as much as I like it since I don't post too offen;

Thanks for looking though.

51826371.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2005
  2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    That's a very nice snap, Catz. Always nice to capture kids at play...their lives so uncomplicated. One of my co-workers is headed your way for a week-long class of search and rescue in Virginia Beach. He is definately glad that indian summer is planned for your area this week...especially since he is fighting a cold.

3. nice snapshot Melissa. what lens did you use?
    Dave

4. Hi Dave,

I used the 17-55. One of my favorite lenses. I want the new lens and I hope it is out by xmas and that I'm a lucky soul to get one. This picture was taken in M mode looking outside my bedroom window watching kids play in the court. I want to take something of constructive before winter really sets in. Hopefully soon. Although, I'm not afraid to put a coat and gloves on to take a picture.

5. Thanks Frank, hopefully the warm weather spell will help his cold. Today it was 77 in Nov!!!. I will take that in Dec too. I hate winter and I have a medical reason for it not wanting it around that I won't go into at this time. But as I explained to Dave, I don't mind putting a coat and gloves on to do some shooting.

Hope everything goes well with your co-worker. What type of search and rescue is he in? Coast Guard?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2005
  6. Hmmmm

I'm getting the dreaded red x - what does that mean on this forum?? Sorry Melissa - maybe it'll come back later.

7. Whoops! Now it's there! So nice to see kids playing outside together. Seems that has become a no-no these days. Every minute planned to the nnnth degree.

8. Thanks Diane, How does the picture look to you? Is the exposure right and the sat and contrast and shapening good? Please feel free to critique.

9. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hi Melissa,

Vince, my Lieutenant, is a member if the Illinois Urban Search and Rescue Team. Like all USAR teams, their forte is to deploy anywhere in the nation to search and rescue/recover people trapped in collapsed buildings or below grade such as mines, sewers, etc. His class is being hosted by the Virginia Beach Fire Department and the U.S. Coast Guard. Vince is one of those guys that is like the Energizer Rabbit...at 51 years of age, he is unstopable. He is as comfortable hanging off the side of a building 30 stories above the ground or 150 feet down in a mine shaft...I always tease him that his picture is in the dictionary next to the word "bravery". He's quiite a roll model.

10. Looks good for the type of shot it is - did you take it through the window through glass? Doesn't look particularly sharp on my monitor which is why I thought the glass may have "diffused" it somewhat.

11. Hi Diane,

Thanks for the critique. I used the 17-55 lens and shot it out the window with the window open. I just wish I had my 70-200 VR lens on the end when I took the picture. I sharpened it in Nikon Capture but maybe I should have done it through PSCS. The kids were playing with the neighbors kids so when I saw them, I thought I just have to get that shot. My daughter is on the right and I think she moved just a tad as I released the shutter and that is why she doesn't look sharp but if you zoom in on the picture, you should see the sharpness. I increased the sharpness in the camera as well. If it is not shooting sharp pictures then maybe it needs to go back to Nikon. I also increased the saturation as I like very saturated pictures.

Again, I appreciate the critique Diane. Thanks so much,

12. Sounds like your Lieutenant lives on the edge and for that, I admire it for it. I am not one of those that likes heights unless it is in a glass elevator so I can't imagine going up on the Eifel tower and standing outside without it being enclosed with glass.

13. marc

marc Guest

hi

could you share you settings

aperture
    shutter speed
    wb
    af- mode
    metering
    iso
    zoom setting on lens 35mm, 45mm etc.

nice photo

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.