1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Killdeer (in flight, static, and wet)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Dave, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    I was harassing some killdeer yesterday and caught them right after a rain storm.

1)
    [​IMG]

2)
    [​IMG]

3)
    [​IMG]

4)
    [​IMG]

5)
    [​IMG]

2. Very nice set Dave. Definitely very wet. :smile:

3. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Thanks Phil...they weren't the only ones that were wet. :biggrin:

4. quyd300

quyd300

Apr 3, 2008
    Houston
    The first two are awesome, Dave!

5. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Thanks Quy...They weren't quite as sharp as I had hoped, but for what I had to work with in the diminishing light and rain, I think they turned out well.

6. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    on the 1st 2 maybe consider underexposing in RAW when you shoot them and then bring some light back...they are a little hot on the whites...the others are very nice

7. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Original:

[​IMG]

Better?

[​IMG]

8. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006

i'm not sure

where was the focus pt ? try more ISO and stop down the aperture, f7 is good. Since the BG is ok no worries about DOF and more DOF will help focus the whole bird

try a little more usm and repost if u don't mind

btw, the BG rocks on these !

9. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Well...the shots aren't entirely in focus. I tried to save them with USM, but I didn't want to overdo it. Thankfully the shots were almost completely full frame (I only cropped just a bit). Since the light was crappy (it was still sprinkling a bit) I was trying to keep the shutter speed high enough to freeze these guys in mid air, that's why the f/stop is a bit low. I've been trying to get more DoF in my shots lately...but having to deal with the afternoon thunderstorms have been a pain (damn clouds). Also, I'm not taking these in RAW, just shooting JPG's now as I've grown a bit lazy going through all of my shots. :biggrin: Here is the shot unedited straight out of the camera, only resized.

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.