Killdeer (in flight, static, and wet)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Dave, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    I was harassing some killdeer yesterday and caught them right after a rain storm.

1)
    [​IMG]

2)
    [​IMG]

3)
    [​IMG]

4)
    [​IMG]

5)
    [​IMG]

2. Very nice set Dave. Definitely very wet. :smile:

3. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Thanks Phil...they weren't the only ones that were wet. :biggrin:

4. quyd300

quyd300

Apr 3, 2008
    Houston
    The first two are awesome, Dave!

5. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Thanks Quy...They weren't quite as sharp as I had hoped, but for what I had to work with in the diminishing light and rain, I think they turned out well.

6. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    on the 1st 2 maybe consider underexposing in RAW when you shoot them and then bring some light back...they are a little hot on the whites...the others are very nice

7. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Original:

[​IMG]

Better?

[​IMG]

8. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006

i'm not sure

where was the focus pt ? try more ISO and stop down the aperture, f7 is good. Since the BG is ok no worries about DOF and more DOF will help focus the whole bird

try a little more usm and repost if u don't mind

btw, the BG rocks on these !

9. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Well...the shots aren't entirely in focus. I tried to save them with USM, but I didn't want to overdo it. Thankfully the shots were almost completely full frame (I only cropped just a bit). Since the light was crappy (it was still sprinkling a bit) I was trying to keep the shutter speed high enough to freeze these guys in mid air, that's why the f/stop is a bit low. I've been trying to get more DoF in my shots lately...but having to deal with the afternoon thunderstorms have been a pain (damn clouds). Also, I'm not taking these in RAW, just shooting JPG's now as I've grown a bit lazy going through all of my shots. :biggrin: Here is the shot unedited straight out of the camera, only resized.

[​IMG]