Killdeer tactics

Discussion in 'Birds' started by woundedmallard, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Hey Everybirdy,

Happened upon a Killdeer with nest today and was able to capture some of their tactics.......

Hey, hey.....ki, ki, ki, ki, over here.....juicy wings!
    original.

But hey...what's this I see?
    View attachment 99841

Hey, hey!! Ki, ki, ki, ki, ki!!!! You don't want those, can't even make an omelette with'em, you wanna eat me.....
    View attachment 99842

Well I left it alone, but had to come back that way since the north end of this particular road was still locked from the shuttle launch. Needless to say I wasn't going to not take a few more shots but this time....

Nah, I ain't movin now, and you can't make me!
    View attachment 99843

No sweat, stay right there, but do you mind if I take a portrait? "Not at all" she said, "just make sure you get my good side!"
    View attachment 99844

"Now beat it will ya, before I get real mad!'
    View attachment 99845

2. Yep, You captured the action very well, Nice pictures also

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice series Tom....
    I saw a Black neck stilt doing the same action the other day.
    I did not photograph it though , i just watched:>)))

4. Great shots Thomas! You'll have to post some shots when the eggs hatch.

Anthony

5. HappyFish

HappyFish

Oct 19, 2006
    Cool shots. Mine here on the farm just came off their second nest. They have 4 chicks this time. The crows were about to eat them late yesterday so I got up at 6am to run the stupid crows off. Mom and dad really put on a show if you get near the chicks. I see in photo #5 that your bird has a tiny drop of drool under its bill. I am seeing the same thing with my birds when they go into alarm mode. Any body know any thing about this?

6. Thomas an excellent series of captures. Your shots are tact on with sharpness and contrast, well done. And I know from experience it isn't easy to get these kinds of shots.

Louie.

7. Thanks everyone for looking.

Drove by today but unfortunately the only thing there this time were tire tracks. They are not the smartest of birds, in spite of their diversion tactics, as they like roadside gravel. Did find another near by and hope to catch them at the right time.

8. tech1961

tech1961

Jan 28, 2007
    Houston Tx.
    Great pictures.