Killdeer

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Irenejoy, Aug 29, 2005.

1. 48174072.

D70 Nikor 80x400. I have been trying to get a shot of one of these little birds all summer. They are very busy at low tide but take off immediately they spy one. I was quite a distance away from this one, hence the heavy cropping and noise. I shall continue to try to creep up closer in the few remaining weeks they will be here.Maybe I will get lucky.

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    That's a neat little bird, Irene. I have never seen so many different species of birds until I joined the Cafe. The members here seem to capture the gamut when it comes to animals. Get somemore images of those little guys before season's end.

3. Nice capture there Irene :smile: Not sure that is a killdeer there, looks more like a plover of some kind. In either event, looks good!

4. Thanks for sharing your cute little bird Irene. I probably would have said Killdeer but then what do I know. When it comes to birds, very little.

5. Nice shot and I am no expert but it does look liek some sort of plover

6. A lot of those birds that stand alongside the water are moving so fast that's very difficult to take a picture of them.

7. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    Irene, this may sound as if it's out of 'left field' (which I believe to be a colonial expression); however, if there are usually anglers around the area where your birds congregate, then join them!
    Seriously, talk to the anglers, ask if you can stand close to one, and get ready to use your camera. The birds readily identify a non-threatening species, and anglers come into that category. Or even borrow a rod, wander down to the shoreline and get ready to take your photographs.
    When I lived in Scotland the zoology students from the local Uni would create hides and carry huge lenses. As an angler I could literally touch most species, as they fed around me, or flew past.
    It may sound weird, but try it and see. :smile:

8. Thanks for all your messages. Actually the Kildeer is a member of the Plover family and while this one was rather hunched down and I couldn't see the double ring around the neck the head was much darker than the Wilson's Plover. Apart from that fact they could almost be twins. Thanks for the advice re the fishermen Rob, unfortunately this is a salt water cove separated from the Bay by a narrow sand bar and no one seems to fish with a rod. They all go up the Restigouche River for rod fishing.

9. Brew

Brew Guest

I like it Irene.
    The killdeer we have around here play like they have a broken wing when they're protecting the nest. They let you just get close enough and than they take off all the while trying to get you away from the nest.