Killer whales playing

Discussion in 'Birds' started by SteveK, Mar 27, 2007.

1. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    I'm at work culling the slide files some more, today working on the whale files. I spent a few weeks on a boat in SE Alaska photographing humpback whales in 1995. Several times a pod of transient killer whales passed by, and we followed them. Twice we saw them catch porpoises. After they caught and ate a dall porpoise, several of them found and started playing with a small sea bird, a marbled murrelet. They breached over the bird, picked it up and spit it back out, flipped it airborne with their tails, and otherwise terriorized the little bird. After 10 minutes they left it alone, still alive, and uninjured.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. that is an amazing sight!

3. Wow - and you're throwing this stuff out!!!??????

Poor bird. Never realized these behemoths have a sense of humour!!????? Nature never ceases to amaze me. Great shots.

4. WOW! I'm in awe of the beauty and excitement you've captured! WOW!:eek:

5. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas
    Those are great. Thanks for sharing with us.

6. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    Killer whales are incredibly intelligent. They certainly do play at times. I'm culling lots of shots that just aren't perfect; in today's stock photo market there isn't any room for images that aren't the absolute best. These particular images will probably never sell, but they are fun to see, and it was great fun to witness!

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    wow That is just amazing
    Thanks for showing these

8. What lens/body/film combo do you think these might have been taken with Steve?

9. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    Provia 100, N90S, 80-200 f2.8