Killer whales playing

I'm at work culling the slide files some more, today working on the whale files. I spent a few weeks on a boat in SE Alaska photographing humpback whales in 1995. Several times a pod of transient killer whales passed by, and we followed them. Twice we saw them catch porpoises. After they caught and ate a dall porpoise, several of them found and started playing with a small sea bird, a marbled murrelet. They breached over the bird, picked it up and spit it back out, flipped it airborne with their tails, and otherwise terriorized the little bird. After 10 minutes they left it alone, still alive, and uninjured.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Wow - and you're throwing this stuff out!!!??????

Poor bird. Never realized these behemoths have a sense of humour!!????? Nature never ceases to amaze me. Great shots.

Wow - and you're throwing this stuff out!!!??????

Poor bird. Never realized these behemoths have a sense of humour!!????? Nature never ceases to amaze me. Great shots.
Killer whales are incredibly intelligent. They certainly do play at times. I'm culling lots of shots that just aren't perfect; in today's stock photo market there isn't any room for images that aren't the absolute best. These particular images will probably never sell, but they are fun to see, and it was great fun to witness!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom