Kilroy's 2013 52 Week Project - Week 2/52 (1/12/13)

I think the first image came out well - I let my eyes roam around the image and they keep getting drawn back to the stone (correct word???). Curling is one of those sport that's fun to watch even if you don't know what's going on. :biggrin:

[URL]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8498/8330275747_129ac71ed2_o.jpg[/url]
2012-12-30 Cool Duck Low Res-3 by matthewscheiner, on Flickr

As you'll probably learn to know about me, I am an avid curler. I have been curling for 4 years. This weekend, my club had a small bonspiel, or tournament. I used this opportunity to take a few photos. It was tricky, because the ice was causing havok on the sensor. I had to boost my exposure a stop or two, increase the shutter speed, and bump the ISO to 1000 even though it was a well lit room. The blur on the background could have been more, but I didn't want to lose sharpness on my moving targets. And the high ISO caused a bit of noise that I couldn't get rid of in post without sacrificing sharpness, either. All-in-all, I think this is a pretty decent first shot for my year-long project.

-Matt

Hi, Matt! Curling is a curious but fascinating activity. I just found out that the 49ers star tight end, Vernon Davis, is heavily involved in the sport.

It was tricky, because the ice was causing havok on the sensor. I had to boost my exposure a stop or two, increase the shutter speed, and bump the ISO to 1000 even though it was a well lit room.

The problem is, all of that white ice tricks your camera into underexposing the frame. Even now, you're about an f/stop under. Two ways to solve it... adjust ev or spot meter.

Hi, Matt! Curling is a curious but fascinating activity. I just found out that the 49ers star tight end, Vernon Davis, is heavily involved in the sport.

The problem is, all of that white ice tricks your camera into underexposing the frame. Even now, you're about an f/stop under. Two ways to solve it... adjust ev or spot meter.

Thanks for the tip, Frank. I'll give it a try the next time I've got my camera up at the club. As for Vernon Davis, he is very into it - when not playing football. At the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver, he was an honorary coach to the team. :)

Through the Looking Glass

Presenting two shots this week:

8374173692_038c08eed1_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2013-01-11 Glass Low Res-1 by matthewscheiner, on Flickr

8374173680_4513659ab6_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2013-01-11 Glass Low Res-2 by matthewscheiner, on Flickr

The light came through my front window onto the hutch in my dining room, where I store my glassware. I thought it was a good exercise in focus, depth of field, etc.

Look forward to your feedback.

Rob Zijlstra

A Koffie Drinker
#1 for me, without any doubt!
I like the picture very much, the whole idea to use the dof like this is very nice. Normally objects in front should be sharp, but this is very nice indeed!

Nice DoF exercise. I like the focal point in the first image better, but I think the second shot came out better overall due to the strong vertical line being less visible.

the first is interesting and draws the eye to the blue glasses in back, but the wine glasses look to be a bit angled. You have that corrected in the second, but it's not as 'eye grabbing'

You have a beautiful collection of stemware, Matt. This was a nice exercise in selective focus and the quality of the oof areas romanticizes the subjects.

#1 for me, without any doubt!
I like the picture very much, the whole idea to use the dof like this is very nice. Normally objects in front should be sharp, but this is very nice indeed!

Thanks. I agree that generally the focus should be in front, but i liked the first shot better, which is why I posted both. Sometimes it's OK to break the rules, right?

I really like the selective focus. Nicely done.

Thanks

Nice DoF exercise. I like the focal point in the first image better, but I think the second shot came out better overall due to the strong vertical line being less visible.

Agreed. I'm not that great at PP (only use Lightroom - no photoshop), so I couldn't get that out of there without making it look obvious. Maybe I'll give it another try.

Nice foreground bokeh! Interesting shot. I too prefer the first of these.

Thanks.

the first is interesting and draws the eye to the blue glasses in back, but the wine glasses look to be a bit angled. You have that corrected in the second, but it's not as 'eye grabbing'

Yes, I see that now. I'll try to straighten, and see how it goes. Thanks.

You have a beautiful collection of stemware, Matt. This was a nice exercise in selective focus and the quality of the oof areas romanticizes the subjects.

Thanks. I think the sunlight coming in the window just at the right time really did the trick.

Funny, one of my goals for this 52 week is to photograph stemware. You're showing me how it's done; thanks!!!

Thanks. Have fun with it!

Real Name
Mike
It's amazing how two different points of focus for the same image can create entirely different experiences in an image. The first pulls my eye right to the blue and holds my attention there, while the second image lets me wander around, exploring, but never leaving the image. Good job!
Presenting two shots this week:

[URL]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8188/8374173692_038c08eed1_o.jpg[/url]
2013-01-11 Glass Low Res-1 by matthewscheiner, on Flickr

[URL]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8496/8374173680_4513659ab6_o.jpg[/url]
2013-01-11 Glass Low Res-2 by matthewscheiner, on Flickr

The light came through my front window onto the hutch in my dining room, where I store my glassware. I thought it was a good exercise in focus, depth of field, etc.

Look forward to your feedback.

It's amazing how two different points of focus for the same image can create entirely different experiences in an image. The first pulls my eye right to the blue and holds my attention there, while the second image lets me wander around, exploring, but never leaving the image. Good job!

Thanks, I thought it was interesting, as well. Sorry I've been behind on my posting. I have been taking the pictures, just been delayed on PP and posting. I'll be in touch soon!

Latest threads

Top Bottom