Kind of scary but . . .

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by greyflash, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Well I am off to photograph the Southern Utah Heritage Choir. This world traveled and popular choir has given me the opportunity to prove myself. They have tried four other photographers and have not been satisfied. Recently I did some work with a youth group and the head of the Heritage Choir saw some of the images and liked them. They perform tonight and I will be leaving in an hour to set up. This is a paid job and I am a little nervous but confident that I can turn out decent images. I tossed and turned all night thinking about White Balance, ISO, lighting, and D2H settings. I am lucky that they will be there practicing for an hour before the performance so I will have some time to get it right. Wish me luck.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Gordon,

THE VERY BEST TO YOU. NOT LUCK. SKILL. YOU CAN DO IT.

Will wait for results. Please follow up.

Best Regards
    Gale

3. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Gordo I know you can do it. You have L33t 5killz!

Thanks,

4. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    You'll do great Gordon. I have no doubt of that at all. As Patrick said, you have elite skills. :)

Neil

5. After seeing some of your shots in the Cafe.....you'll do just fine. Good luck.......and most of all.....have fun!! :D :D :D :D :D Look forward to seeeing some of those shots in the Cafe!!! :D :D :D :D

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Sic 'em Gordo.... 8)

You'll do great.... :wink:

Frank

7. Never a doubt I am sure you will do a great job

8. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Gordon, best of luck and I know we all can't wait to see how awesome the shots are going to come out. Just remember to take the lens cap off and you'll do fine

9. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Gordon - dude. You know you're good: wow'em.

PS show us a few if you can please.

10. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Gordon,you'll manage
    The choir have their new photographer,I see lots of traveling in the future for you

11. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

12. Thanks everyone. The shoot went well and I came away with images that I think they will like. When I get them processed I will share a few.

13. Glad it turned out well Gordon. That is why I do not do weddings - oh the pressure...

14. I know what you mean Rory as I have a wedding in May and I'm already starting to feel the pressure. I have been 2nd camera at a couple of weddings but this is the first one on my own. Not sure that I need this aggravation. :?

15. Glad things went well

Hi Gordon,
    I am glad that things went well. I have only ever done one wedding, and that was enough. I will never forget the pressure to do well, since it only happens one time. I was shooting film at the time, and everything came out just fine. I am sure that the couple will just love the work that you have done for them.

16. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    We knew you had it in you Gordon!

We also knew you do a great job. ;)

Neil

17. Thanks Neil I should have some images to post by Monday. This has been a busy weekend for me and I only have about a third of them processed at this time.

18. Thanks Ed, my wedding gig is not until May. I will be posting some images or the Southern Utah Heritage Choir that I shot yesterday.

19. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Happy to hear it went well.

I have some unsolicited advice, since sometimes I feel the way you do. Especially since I don't really like my photos. I always get a bit nervous before a big shoot.

Anyways, the way I look at it. They hired you based on your portfolio. All you have to do is shoot and process like you normally do (i.e., everyday shot) and they'll be happy. Otherwise, they wouldn't have asked you.

I just shot a bunch of pool tables for a client and I'm their 3rd photographer. They saw my work and loved it for some reason, and asked me to shoot their tables.

They were very dissatisfied with their first two photographers, and I listened and avoided the same mistake - not that I would have made those same mistakes anyways.

The last photographer didn't have any strobes, and the client bought them hot lights (as the client doesn't know anything about photography equipment either). The guy didn't process the pics and dumped a bunch of JPGs on the client to process (WB was off too). That's something I would never do.

Anyways here's one from that shoot:
    [​IMG]

20. Nicely done Gregory and your advise is good as well. I too have spent several hours processing the shots from Saturday and from what I can see the customer should be happy. Like your table image.