Kinesis Modular Belt Pack

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by strobel, Dec 25, 2005.

1. strobel

strobel

Apr 30, 2005
    Algonquin, IL
    Just curious if anyone else has or owned the Kinesis Belt system?

I just received the system for Christmas and think i am going to return it. The connection system is a nightmare. I hooked 4 cases to the belt and my fingers were almost bleeding. Just wondering what other people have thought about the system. They call it modular but what a nightmare to make changes!

2. Ron,
    I have heard others on here mention that brand, but I do not know about it. I have the pro-modulus speed belt from think tank photo and it is simplicity at its best. I love it! I hope you work it out to suit you.
    dave

3. I use the Newswear chest vest ! This is good, it doe's not hurt your back and you can carry loads of camera gear !

Paul

4. Ron, I have one of these and love it. What do you find difficult about the attacment system? You simply slide the tab on the back of the thing you are attaching through the belt and then the velcro on the tab holds it in place. I typically have 6-8 different pouches, etc., attached to the belt from a variety of manufacturers, Tamrac/LowePro/Kinesis, with no effort whatsoever. Are you sure you are doing this correctly.

What bits do you have and what are you trying to attach that is so difficult? I also have slightly modified mine to allow me to attache the LowePro Street and Field vest for carrying really heavy loads.

Drop me a PM, email or reply here and I'll see if I can't help you out. Also, I would give Kinesis a call, they are great for help on the phone.

5. Kenisis is the best of the belt systems. I've had mine for some time now and can't imagine being without it.

The fastening system just takes some practice. It frustrated me at first but now I can hook them up pretty easily. BTW, one you get it set up you probably won't be switching too much. I mainly use the 70-200 pouch on one hip and the smaller multi-pouch on the other.

Congrats on a swell present!

Don

6. Ron,
    i would be willing to bet these guys that have it know what they are talking about. It must be good stuff. hope you get it to your satisfaction
    Dave

7. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    It's interesting that you ask this question, Ron. I was thinking about ordering a similar system from Think Tank, but Papa Tony asked me to consider the Kinesis product before I made any purchase. I have never seen the Think Tank product in person, only on their website. I like the concept, but I was hoping not to be apart of any bloodshed.

8. Frank,
    From personal experience, there is no learning curve or pain in thintank stuff, I love mine and use it all the time now. very well thought out syetem and well made too.
    Dave

9. JB

JB

May 27, 2005
    Washington, DC
    I'm using the Lowepro S&F belt-harness system and I am very pleased. It's well designed, durable, reasonably priced, lifetime warranty, and they have a huge selection of lens cases, pouches & accessories. There are a few Canadian Lowepro sellers on ebay that are consistently priced below the big name internet companies.

If you decide to return the Kinesis, take a look at Lowepro.

10. I had the LowePro belt before buying the Kinesis and the only real difference, in my opinion, is that the Kinesis is a little more flexible. But both use the same loop mechanism for attaching pouces.

Ron, are you trying to attaching "belt loop" style pouches with the straps with the connector thingies (technical term) on the Kinesis? That is the only thing that I could conceive of being at all tricky, and a call to Kinesis outght to straighten that one out.

In my opinion, you aren't going to go wrong with, in no particular order:

Kinesis
    LowePro
    ThinkTank

I think they are all superb systems.

11. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the info, Dave. I like what I see in the Think Tank line of products, but Kinesis looks good as well. My only wish is that I like to see and feel products before I buy them which usually minimizes disappointment and returns. I'm not in any particular hurry to buy anything right now, so I will look at Kinesis and Lowepro as well as Think Tank.

12. strobel

strobel

Apr 30, 2005
    Algonquin, IL
    Thanks everyone for the feedback and information. I must say for the $325.00 that was spent on this belt system, I am a little disappointed with the connections. I certainly did get easier after a little practice, but I had a few issues with the system over-all and will be returning the system.

I personally like the belt to clip in the back so that you can hang a small bag in the front. In order to do that and use the shoulder harness you must buy another connector and modify the belt (add $50.00). To much money and aggravation for a bag.

13. Wow Ron,
    $325 must have gotten lots of stuff. I think my setup was ~160.00. With all that stuff you probably would need the extra cost suspenders. I don't really blame you for giving up on it.

I haven't tried it, but I don't see why my belt wouldn't buckle in the back as well as the front - I don't think the fastener would know the difference but my back might if I sat down against something hard:eek:

IMO a belt system is best for when you're traveling light. The most I schlepp with mine is a lens or two in the small case and my 70-200 in the pouch. I can spend a day with that load and not be bothered.

Don

14. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I have the Kinesis system and do share some of your complaints with the fastening system. The problem is the material bunches up when you're trying to the slide tabs through, but with practice it does get easier.

If you're just looking for a belt system I have to agree the ThinkTank system looks a bit more appealing. The strength of the Kinesis system IMHO is its modularity and flexibility, particularly if you add the Journeyman backpack into the equation. I can use the Journeyman either by itself or mounted on a larger pack frame and attach any number of pouches/compartments in and on it for backpacking when I need to carry more than just camera gear (even including sleeping bag and tent). Or I can take the belt off and use it by itself with a few pouches when I don't need as much capacity. It does get expensive though.

15. Ron, what all bits and pieces did you get? I still do not understand why you had any issues at all with attaching the pieces, could you elaborate on which bits were causing trouble? As I noted prior, I have a combination of Tamrac and LowePro pouches that I hand on my belt, and I have even added a couple of D-rings so the LowePro vest will attach, and I have never had an issue with getting any piece attached. I also don't see any reason, as stated by Dave I believe, that you could not simply put the buckle in the back or on one side if you wanted to. In fact, I just did that and it makes sitting down with the belt on and pouches attached one heck of a lot easier. And to think I'd never thought of that, DOH :eek:

One thing that I like about the ThinkTank system, which was not available when I got my Kinesis belt, is the ability to slide the pouches all the way around. You can do this on the Kinesis belt with some pouches.

I have carried quite a bit of weight on my belt, a couple of lenses, including the 120-300, plus batteries, CF cards, TC's and water bottle. I find the belt much more comfortable and convenient than a bag with the same amount of stuff.

16. strobel

strobel

Apr 30, 2005
    Algonquin, IL

I received the large padded belt, the large camera bag (fit the D2X with the 70-200 attached), large lens pouch, wide angle lens bag, small accessories bag, and the shoulder strap.

The clips for attaching the bags to the belt using the "button style" clip on are just a pain in the rear. I did play with them for a while and after a little practice it does get easier. The icing on the cake was when I found I wanted to turn the belt around to have the case in the center front. I would have to purchase an additional piece and install 2 more D-Rings. I think for the prices they are getting they could have covered the bases, instead of nickel and dime-ing me. So the main reason I am sending it back is aggravation. But once again, i must say the connection system could be better.

17. I just went and looked at the Kinesis Web Site and I see the 8431 belt cross-over adapter, which I may now get after my quick experiment last night, for enabling you to attach bags to the front. At a cost of $6.00 it seems quite reasonable and it appears to have the added advantage of and extra buckle, to ensure the belt remains tight. Onoccasion I have been able to accidentally loosen the belt, which can feel really funny as you try to move.

I must be missing something here, or I'm just not listening clearly, on the issue of how the attachments are a "pain", and I'm not sure that any of the systems are going to be any different. I have bags in multiple styles, some with buttons on the back to as the final "attachment" and some with just added velcro tabs, but in all cases the button is just extra security. The large tab on the bag simply slides through and then you snap the push the tab agains the velcro and snap the button. Are you trying to put the tabs over the entire belt or just through the strap? If it is the buttons that are the problem, then make sure that whichever pouches and accessories you add does not use the buttons on the bottom. For example, my Tamrac pouches do but my Lowe do not. I am not sure about the ThinkTank pouches, I can't see the back of them from the shots on the web site. If I were you this is something that I would consider before grabbing one of the other systems, that the attachment method will more suit your taste.

18. strobel

strobel

Apr 30, 2005
    Algonquin, IL

The worst part of this system is like I said the connection (twin buckle) to the belt. Look at the bottom of the following page.
    http://www.kinesisgear.com/systemintro.html

if you look at the Think Tank Products, they look to be much simpler
    ThinkTank

19. AHA, now this makes more sense. NONE of the pouches I have use the twin-buckle method, they all have one or two tabs on the back which slide through the webbing that those metal rings are attached to. I don't have any of the Kinesis pouches, just Lowe and Tamrac, I wasn't understanding that this was what you meant by "buttons". The Kinesis bags only attach this way? They don't have a velcro'd tab on the back which can slip through the webbing? That would surprise me, as my understanding of the twin-buckle clips was to allow you to adapt pouches which only have a belt loop, and not the tab. If I were you I would be on the phone with Kinesis and ask for there advice, but I certainly agree with you that if this was the attachement method I had to use for everything, a true pain it would be.

Well, I'll be, amazing what one can learn after a bit of further reading. I took another close look at the pages, including the Competitive Analysis page, and yup, now I find that the Kinesis pouches do seem to only attach that way. They do make one point, however, that sometimes the Velcro attached ones do wobble a bit. Given that all the Velcro pouches I have work quite well, and I like the Kinesis belt already, this will just point me in the direction of the other manufacturers for future accessories.

Thanks for the patience and answering the question so well, my confusion, obviously, came because I have the belt and "3rd party" pouches only, avoiding the twin-buckle. I'll have to add my twin-buckle strap to something else to see how difficult that is to attache, maybe one of my long lens cases.

Good luck on your decision, the only thing I really hate about all of these is the cost, but then I have that same issue with ALL the camera bags on the market :biggrin:

20. papa85

papa85 Guest

On the other hand I have only one thing to say , (I have been following this whole post,) After all is said and done I do not think once the belt is set the way you like it, that will not be a big deal. I think I would prefer the more solid feel of the two hook method when the action starts.
    But that is only my 2 cents.:Whistle: