Kingfisher and a few green herons

I know Bill Dewey has been posting some great green herons so I hope these won't duplicate his. We shot these on the same day. Sure are fun to watch. The Kingfisher was a long way away and so the HSC mode helped a lot. I did not quite get the flip but part of it. Next time maybe.

original.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 12716

View attachment 12717

View attachment 12718

View attachment 12719

Hey, you got a Reznick flip!! It took me 8 months of trying to get one of those, and you got one your first time out with Bill. Guess I'm going out with the wrong company (it couldn't be me, could it??). :lol:

Nice Kingfisher too. :wink:

J

Johnbotu

Nice shots

Awesome captures, which lens did you use?

Thanks,

John

Flew said:
Hey, you got a Reznick flip!! It took me 8 months of trying to get one of those, and you got one your first time out with Bill. Guess I'm going out with the wrong company (it couldn't be me, could it??). :lol:

Nice Kingfisher too. :wink:

The REAL P$%%#r with this Flip is that at 8fps I MISSED the fully open beak. Somebody 'Splain 'Dat to Me :!:

Dang, I was so happy with mine, until I saw that one, I didn't know which to do first, congratulate Jim or be annoyed that I posted mine first :lol: . So, heck Jim, darn nice job.

We have also, at least me, only seen one of these around. You'd figure there must be more than one, but if so it hides really well.

Cool stuff, Jim, and I think that Kingfisher is killer...

James -

I especially like that Kingfisher shot. They are so shy and quick to depart that I've never been able to get a decent crack at one (I suppose longer glass might help as well). All of these shots are great, however.

Thanks!

Nice shots, Jim! Especially the "flip" shot! I don't think the birds down here eat anything, they just pose! ;) Well, maybe after the photogs leave, they do. :oops: Unless Frank's in town! 8)

Love the kingfisher they are #1 on my list to capture, I got some shots at Viera last year but none worthy of adding to the portfolio. Great shots I am impressed

Nice series James, nicely done! luv the kingfisher too! never seen one, looks like you had allot of fun. Man those gbh's must have sharp beaks for fishing. LOL

Thanks Frank . I was not sure I got it but I will chaulk it up to beginners luck. Like Bill said, he was standing right next to me shutter pressed down and I am the one that got lucky. I guess we need like 16 fps or something.

Thanks John. I was using the Sigma 500 f4.5 with the nikon tc14-EII. This is a pretty good combination even on the D2X.

Bill you were right about the green heron. Great spot and lots of fun taking pictures and just watching.

Thanks David, Kevin, Mike, Don, Cindy and Keith. I too like the Kingfisher but they are hard to get pictures of. I was lucky to have had good light, long lens and most of all the HSC of the D2X as the bird barely filled up on focus rectile on the screen.

M

mfrank123

nice series, well done love the third one of the heron swallowing. and nice capture of the kingfisher, the one i have around here is too fast to ever shot. well done

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
That is a great series Jim love the Kingfisher and obviously the Reznick flip!

You did a very nice job with the king fisher, they are so hard to get. I guess this was down by Juanita? It might then be the same guy that I have seen there? Up here in Duncan (Vancouver Island) there are lots of them down by the river, but they are hard to get close to, I'm going down there now and I'm hoping I'll get at least a shot at one before it is gone.

Hope to see you up here sometime

Unbelievable series, Jim. Talk about capturing at peak action...geez!!! Be careful so you don't get permanent wrinkles on your cheeks from smiling so much. You absolutely nailed those images. My sincerest congrats to you!!!

Thanks guys for the king words. Rory, I would really like to take credit but that camera has so much to do with these pictures. I could never have captured this series with the D100 because it was just too slow.

Andreas you are correct. The kingfisher was at Juanita. The HSC mode is what allowed me to get this shot. It was pretty far off, but the light was great. I just made an 8*10 print and it came out really good. Gotta love those extra megapixels for sure. I also took your advice and put another gig of ram in the old computer today. That also made a huge difference. Thanks for the suggestion. I hope you found your kingfisher!!

Great shots, esp the Kingfisher. I've been trying to grab a shot of this bird for months now. As soon as they see a human, they're off somewhere else :( Great sharp pics of the heron - congrats on the flip! LOL

Latest threads

Top Bottom