Kingfisher in flight

Discussion in 'Birds' started by hillrg, Sep 25, 2005.

1. I was out with Andreas last weekend and was having problems tracking focus with my D2X. I was troubled, because I have been able to track birds in flight in the past. I reviewed my technique during the week and decided I had been doing two things wrong: 1) I had setting A4 off (I had been experimenting and forgot to reset it) and 2) I was not tracking smoothly, keeping the target in the focus lenticle. I find it harder to smoothly track when the target is almost directly above. I am using a sidekick and swiss arca B1.

This weekend, I set a4=on and concentrated on tracking more smoothly and had much better success. Capturing a Kingfisher in flight is not that easy, but I was able to make a number of shots, all in focus.

My settings were continuous focus, dynamic area AF. I was shooting with the 500/4 + TC14EII.

2. Buddy beautiful shot, got to luv it when a game plan comes together!!!! a4, is that focus tracking? I thought most shoot with it off or atleast what I read. D2x can be a b_tch to track especially if something behind it, ie. trees.....very frustrating. I understand the d2hs is in that same category

3. bfjr

bfjr Guest

tought buger to get good, and you did really well !!

can't say If had any trouble (well I have :frown: ) focus tracking, but being such a novice I just chalk it up to me, but boy when I get it right it's a real hoot !!

Tried most of the settings, I think...have pretty settled on AFC, FPS+rate and use AF-on button for focus (not shutter) is that what you use??

Have you read article by Digital Darrell, it real was very good at explaining focus in D2 series cameras.

if not here is link
    Focus explained

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. Hi Keith

I get better results when shooting with a sky background with a4=on. This slows down the camera's impulse to reaquire focus when you lose the target momentarily. Also, closest focus does not work in this instance, as the camera cannot focus on sky (no contrast), so it cannot tell that the target is the closest subject in my experience.

I know there has been considerable debate on this, but this is my experience.

6. Yes, I use the same settings. I re-read Darrell's excellent article last week when I was trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. He specifically identifies that you should use a4=on when shooting with dynamic area AF.

I find dynamic area AF to be the most useful AF targieting mode when shooting small, fast moving subjects. When I shoot runners, who are bigger and slower, the group dynamic settings work quite well.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  7. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hey Rory,

I've been trying to get a decent kingfisher shot for a year now w/o sucess. I am impressed.

8. Really nice shot of the Kingfisher Rory. Catching those small guys is difficult and you make it look easy.

9. Well... it was not too hard once I got my act together:smile: