1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Kings Park Psychiatric Center (bldg #93)

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by frede, Jul 12, 2008.

1. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    I made a trip to Kings Park Psychiatric Center on Long Island NY. After a 5 mile hike in, (which I later found out was not necessary -long story) I reached building #93. I don't think the magnitude of this building could ever really be captured in a photograph. At over 100 feet tall, this giant is truly a site to behold.

Thanks to Danielle L from the forum for telling me about Kings Park.

2657546568_112530bb49_o.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2656645005_d8719e734e_o.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2008
  2. Gandalf

Gandalf

Nov 15, 2006
    Arkansas
    Great shots! I think I see ghosts in the windows!

3. Excellent! Wonderful treatment on the first.

4. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Lovely shots, I really like what you've done with the first one

5. Gigantos

Gigantos Guest

Woah! Think of all the history in that building!

6. Sorry Fred, I think you have just proven your own statement wrong. Incredible photos, love them all.

7. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Thanks Bill - that wouldn't surprise me. With all those windows that must be a ghost or two...:biggrin:

Thanks Alex!

Thank you Robert.

Yeah really - Built in the 1880's and used until the 1990's, I'm sure that building holds an lot of stories - many of which are probably very sad unfortunately.

Thanks Anthony. I have to tell you, that building is beyond belief when you see it in person. I was completely mesmerized when I first stood in front of it.

8. Danielle L

Danielle L Guest

I am sooo sorry I didn't tell you about the parking lot type thing (and you can generally just park on the side of the road to take pictures in the day, I've never had problems)!!! I haven't been on here in a while. I can't believe you hiked 5 miles! Your pictures look great though! Why no pictures of the other buildings?

9. fred,
    those are really awesome images
    5 mile hike in (whether necessary or not)
    wonderful result
    i really appreciate you sharing these with us

i guess you couldn't go inside...

10. ArtO

ArtO

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    Great photos. Checked online and found some interesting info and sites. Quite a story. Thanks for the post.

11. dx379

dx379

Jul 9, 2008
    Tulsa, OK
    That first picture is incredible. Excellent photo/editing.

Jonny

12. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Thanks and no need to be sorry Danielle. I actually had a very nice day. During the hike over the hill from SM park I was treated to some beautiful views of LI sound from the top of the bluffs. The only issue regarding the hike was the timing/light - I ran out of light, so the power plant is the only other building that I shot.

Thanks Greg - It was a fun trip.

Thanks Art!

Thank you Jonny.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.