Kings Park Psychiatric Center (bldg #93)

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by frede, Jul 12, 2008.

1. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    I made a trip to Kings Park Psychiatric Center on Long Island NY. After a 5 mile hike in, (which I later found out was not necessary -long story) I reached building #93. I don't think the magnitude of this building could ever really be captured in a photograph. At over 100 feet tall, this giant is truly a site to behold.

Thanks to Danielle L from the forum for telling me about Kings Park.

2657546568_112530bb49_o.jpg

2656645005_d8719e734e_o.png

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2008
  2. Gandalf

Gandalf

Nov 15, 2006
    Arkansas
    Great shots! I think I see ghosts in the windows!

3. Excellent! Wonderful treatment on the first.

4. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Lovely shots, I really like what you've done with the first one

5. Gigantos

Gigantos Guest

Woah! Think of all the history in that building!

6. Sorry Fred, I think you have just proven your own statement wrong. Incredible photos, love them all.

7. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Thanks Bill - that wouldn't surprise me. With all those windows that must be a ghost or two...:biggrin:

Thanks Alex!

Thank you Robert.

Yeah really - Built in the 1880's and used until the 1990's, I'm sure that building holds an lot of stories - many of which are probably very sad unfortunately.

Thanks Anthony. I have to tell you, that building is beyond belief when you see it in person. I was completely mesmerized when I first stood in front of it.

8. Danielle L

Danielle L Guest

I am sooo sorry I didn't tell you about the parking lot type thing (and you can generally just park on the side of the road to take pictures in the day, I've never had problems)!!! I haven't been on here in a while. I can't believe you hiked 5 miles! Your pictures look great though! Why no pictures of the other buildings?

9. fred,
    those are really awesome images
    5 mile hike in (whether necessary or not)
    wonderful result
    i really appreciate you sharing these with us

i guess you couldn't go inside...

10. ArtO

ArtO

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    Great photos. Checked online and found some interesting info and sites. Quite a story. Thanks for the post.

11. dx379

dx379

Jul 9, 2008
    Tulsa, OK
    That first picture is incredible. Excellent photo/editing.

Jonny

12. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Thanks and no need to be sorry Danielle. I actually had a very nice day. During the hike over the hill from SM park I was treated to some beautiful views of LI sound from the top of the bluffs. The only issue regarding the hike was the timing/light - I ran out of light, so the power plant is the only other building that I shot.

Thanks Greg - It was a fun trip.

Thanks Art!

Thank you Jonny.