1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Kirk Collar for 300 f/4 for Monopod use

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by jklofft, May 2, 2005.

1. I don't use my 300 f/4 on a tripod, but I do use it on a monopod. Will the Kirk collar gain me much?

2. I was also wondering, as this might be one of my next lenses, is the AFS version's collar really that bad? From what i've heard its not really that good so I was thinking about the idea of an aftermarket replacement. What about an earlier AF version- how is its collar in comparison? I might get the earlier one for cost reasons.

3. jkamphof

jkamphof Guest

I find the collar to be adequate on mine and not such a big deal on faster shutter speeds. Thus on a monopod the lens has not failed me yet. However I think for having full use of the lens from slow to fast (and tripod use) it may be a good idea to replace the collar over time. I think I will change the collar (to the Kirk) but in the meantime a good hunk of solid rubber suits me fine.

4. kjoosten

kjoosten

May 1, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I use the 300/4 AFS with Kirk collar on a Manfrotto 680B monopod with a Manfrotto 3232 head as modified here:

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/projects/index.html

A very solid rig. I like it a lot.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.