Kirk strap pod...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scott Sherman, Apr 18, 2005.

1. has anyone tried the Kirk Strap Pod? It seems like a pretty good idea. I have a very nice expensive monopod and tripod but they are awkward and hard to carry with my full kit.

http://www.kirkphoto.com/accessories.html#strappod

I came upon this thread at DPR with some nice examples of low light photo comparisons with & w/o the strap pod.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=13109973

does it seem a bit gimmicky or an innovative product that will work. What do you think and as I mentioned earlier. If anyone has real world experience I would love to hear from you.

2. Call me a cynic but the shots with the strap look like they're PP sharpened vs the shots without the strap.
    I guess it would provide some tension, esp when you can't use a monopod etc, but I think I'd rather depend on my arm hold and VR *LOL* I don't think I'd be able to shoot many pics with so many people laughing at me! *LOL* You could easily make one from a strap that clips onto the turn key on the bottom of a tripod plate. $1.00 vs $29.95 - send me my commission cheque on the money I just saved you to 123 Main Street *LOL*
    As far as mono and tripod carriers, I made one from a wide luggage strap and velcro strap ends, and just sling it across my back. Very easy to rig up, and quick to remove. Velcro is starting to replace duct tape in my world! *LOL*

3. Okay, I'll bite. Sandi you could be a cynic. Actually so am I. I am a cynic for a living believe it or not, but that's another story. I noticed what looked like PP also but looking at his website link, there are a lot of very nice shots all reportedly shot in low light with the strap pod. He did not seem to be gaining anything other than saving face for making the purchase, so I will take him at his word that he is a satisfied user.

In theory, it seems to have merit and a strap pod will travel much easier than a real pod and may gain access to some places where a real pod won't be permitted.

Your idea does seem a bit more practical to make your own, but being a basically lazy guy with more credit than time, I am attracted to the commercial ready made product.

I think I am going to pull the trigger on the gadget. If I do, I wll give you my evaluation. I sure hope this isn't another hula hoop. :oops: :lol:

4. IIRC, Gaye has one and seem to think it works. I have my doubts about the claim of 3-stop gain though -- and you probably saw that in my correspondence w/ Lee in that thread. :D If he's getting decent shots are 1/20s at 85mm, I don't see how that's a 3-stop gain. That's more like 2-stop, but I'd be happy enough w/ a 2-stop gain so I don't need to lug a real pod w/ me. :D

If you don't get it first, I'm pretty sure I will.

_Man_

5. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Great Scott! (no pun intended). That strap technique has been around for as long as cameras have been around. Length of heavy string and a large flat washer will do just as good. Price buster- less than $1. Better than some fancy strap when you step in or drag it through the doggy poo. That leaves you with a better choice to clip or clean.

6. Larry... Larry... Larry... You forgot the amateur camera persons credo...

The one with the most gadgets at the end wins.

Great Scott (Pun intended :lol:)

7. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    So does that mean that the pro credo....

The one with the most toys at the end wins (?).

Good thing I have no intentions of turning pro.

It makes me wonder about the term "boy toys". Seems too gender specific when it has uni-sex applications. I suppose that it is measured by $$$$$s in useage and that would make sense.

8. My wife thinks I collect toys.... I think I collect precision, photographic instruments. We have compromised and called them gadgets. She thinks I am in competition to win in the end.

I think I have a pretty good wife.

9. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    In the sense that she is compromising to let you win, I agree. Most wives wouldn't let the other half get away with it unless there was a shopping deal for them. I gave up golf years ago when I walked into the "You golf, I shop" deal. Now being retired and she still works has changed things that she knows I stay out of trouble by being busy with photography while she is at work.