1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Kiron wide-angle primes...

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by TetonTom, Jul 30, 2009.

1. TetonTom

TetonTom

Aug 28, 2008
    Colorado, USA
    In another thread we got on the subject of the Kiron (A.K.A. "Lester Dine", A.K.A. Vivitar Series 1) 105mm macro, and it's supposed great reputation as a high-quality macro lens. Searching around a bit more, I've run into auctions for Kiron 24mm f2 and 28mm f2 lenses.
    Has anyone had experience with any of these other Kiron lenses? The macro gets great praises, but I can't find much about the wide primes.
    Thanks,

2. Preston

Preston

May 2, 2005
    Reno, NV
    I have not heard anything on those. Why those, why not the Nikkor 35 f2, great lens and inexpensive too.

3. Kiron had a tremendous reputation back in the day when it was out-zooming both Canon and Nikon in the lens department. I still own a Kiron 70-210 FD for a Canon.

Every single len reviewed back then was given a superior grade. I suspect those wide primes would be excellent.

4. TetonTom

TetonTom

Aug 28, 2008
    Colorado, USA
    I'm not really considering getting one of these, just kind of curious as I'd never heard if Kiron a week ago. I may get one of their 90mm macro's, though, if I can get one cheap (like under $150).

5. I had a Kiron 28mm F/2, great lens, built quality was obviously great as most of the old lenses, sharpness was similar at F/2 to my 35mm F/2 AF-D, but with less CA and much better bokeh.
    My sample had a problem though, the right side corners were quite soft even stopped down, don't know if that was a manufacturing defect or if it was dropped sometime during it's life. Either way the center and left sides were great.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.