Kitchen grater at 1:1

Just playing with my new focusing rail...

Grater2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Nice. I would have been hard pressed to identify it, had you not labeled it! Mike Buckley should be hearing footsteps . . .

Thanks, Nick.

My wife identified it instantly, but then she is very familiar with the grater.:D

Nicely lit, Jim! Your lighting displays the texture, shape and color.

If you haven't torn down your setup, consider using a smaller aperture to keep everything in focus.

That's a 15-image focus stack.

Mike detected the slight bit of fuzzy focus along the bottom row. I redid it using my better-quality focusing rail which is much steadier. I also tried using f/8. Here is the result...

Try3.jpg

Mike likes to see the setup...

_Z506065.jpg

The setup actually does help! :)

It's still not sharp all the way through the image. It's still sharp at the top but becomes progressively less so the closer it gets toward the bottom. Your focus point needs to be in the bottom row of the nearest part of the nobs. Is it? That's where it needs to be because that's the part of the subject that is closest to the lens.

It's still not sharp all the way through the image. It's still sharp at the top but becomes progressively less so the closer it gets toward the bottom. Your focus point needs to be in the bottom row of the nearest part of the nobs. Is it? That's where it needs to be because that's the part of the subject that is closest to the lens.
Right, a shim on the rear would make the face of the grater parallel to the lens.

The subject has to be parallel to the film plane. Ah, Palouse slipped in ahead of me. Great minds... well his anyway. :)

Right, a shim on the rear would make the face of the grater parallel to the lens.

Yep, I realized that and focused the initial photo on the lower right corner. Perhaps the grater was rotated slightly and I didn't notice it.

The subject has to be parallel to the film plane.

No, the subject doesn't have to be parallel to the plane of focus. If all parts of the subject are not parallel to it and if the photographer wants everything in focus there are four potential solutions: use an aperture that is small enough to keep everything in focus, use an effective focus-stacking technique, sharpen during post-processing to compensate for lack of sharpness at the time of capture, or a combination of some or all of the above.

Last edited:
Art is everywhere. There are growing pains as you learn the little things on tabletop macro, but it quickly becomes "second nature."
Then look out. Every kitchen gadget, every tool in the junk drawer, and even odd stuff you find in the street will deserve to have its picture taken
gary

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom