Kiteboarding?

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by Steved53, Sep 19, 2005.

1. I am not even sure what this sport is called - I am just guessing.

These pics were taken at Rush, near Dublin in Ireland.

[​IMG]

Yiha! Looks like good fun.
    [​IMG]

Taken with the 70-200VR at 200mm.

2. Cool pix of KiteSurfing Steve... I didn't know about Ireland... but South France has great beaches and constant winds and are ideal for water/sail sports...

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2005
  3. Thanks Panos.

Kitesurfing, so that's what it's called - logical I guess.

Yes, I think you are right about the south of France. To tell you the truth I rarely get over to the beaches, I always seem to be working. However, I was over that way the other day (with my friend from Ireland coincidentally) and I was amazed at the number of surfers that were out. I didn't notice any Kitesurfers, but it looked like it was worth a revisit.

4. I am told that kite surfing is a dangerous sport with many injuries and even deaths. I just read about one recently. Well executed images.

5. Thanks Gordon, and thanks for the warning.

I'm usually one to have a go at anything, but if my attempts at windsurfing in the sea are anything to go by, I would definitely be well advised to stay behind the camera!

6. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    It's very popular here in SoCal. Rumors of the danger are prevalent and probably justified. We are finding other beach users are complaining vigorously about the space they use - in the water and on the beach - and the relative lack of control when near people. These things can move extremely fast and one has a feeling when watching that only the most proficient can handle them in a relatively safe manner. Impressive to watch, but should probably be restricted to specific locations where they only endanger each other.

7. Hi Patrick,

I think I would have to agree with you there. It seems to me that you could get very intent on what was happening above you, with little regard to what was happening in front of you. A potentially dangerous situation.

8. cmpalmer

cmpalmer

Jan 27, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    Here are a few I took last week in southern California (near Seal Beach). These are CoolPix shots, so don't expect much, but it was fun to watch. This was very late afternoon (around 6:30 PM, IIRC) and there were at least 10 kitesurfers and a handful of traditional surfers sharing the same small stretch of beach. I didn't see any collisions or fouling of kite lines, but I was surprised not to...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Nice shots Chris.

At least you got the kites in the shot. I liked getting a closeup of the surfer with expressions of concentration etc, but you then lose out on the colourful kites.

10. No harm done... :wink:
    original.
    original.
    original.
    original.
    original.