Knarly Color

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Commodorefirst, Nov 24, 2005.

1. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Well, this is cross posted in the landscape section, but since the site is growing by leaps and bounds, and I know I can't see everything, I thought some of you might like to see some of my fun.

This tree has been struck with lightning twice in the past year so it is on it's last legs, I was out shooting some birds last weekend, and with the light peaking, threw on the 35mm f2 and took some Raw shots for some processing fun in Nikon capture and PS.

I am a big silhouette fan, and normally I let the light do the talking, but this time I just couldn't help myself with the colors as a contrast against that Knarly tree. With the "cool" Fall breezes, I kept the image temps "cool" in the White Balance and processing

Cheers,

Wade

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Very nice captures, Wade. You caught those images at what was probably the most opportune time of the sunset. The colors are just fantastic against the shadow of the tree...which is definately on it's last leg for sure. The scattered low clouds and fading contrail really add to the composition. If you have ever viewed one of my images, you can understand that I am the last person to criticize anyone's work...but you might consider cloning out the high tension tower on the horizon in the center of the first image. Thanks for sharing, Wade.

3. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Frank,

Thanks for the comments, and in regards to the that tension tower, I was hoping some might comment on it, stay or go? So one vote for go, I in a weird way like the branch pointing to it, but I have mixed feelings about it. Thanks for your eye, and you need to give yourself much much more credit as a photog!

I, as you, feel weird at times giving tips or thoughts on other folks images, but I figure I appreciate comments, and with this community being the way it is, we all understand the spirit and need for suggestions, praise and critiques.

Cheers,

Wade

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hi Wade,

I really hesitate to offer too much in the way of critique to members for two reasons...

1. Because, for the most part, I think that the images are pretty darned good and I figure that the shooter is darned proud of their capture;

2. I hesitate to offer too much in the way of critique if I can't tell exactly how to improve the shot, i.e. initial exposure settings, composition or post-processing. I prefer instead to watch the thread and learn from others who know better how to improve and understand the steps to do so.

I'll add some comment if I believe that it makes sense, but never at the expense of offending someone and losing a friend.

5. I think both are great shots. vivid colours, nice composition. Nothing to change, nothing to add

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Keep the tower. It adds, uh ... tension.

7. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Thanks Phil,

some might think the colors over processed a bit so I have a less saturated, warmer, natural blue sky version that still has some pop ready to go, but I thought that the tree was so out there, lets do the same with the colors. I vary my processing a lot day to day, a lot depends on the mood I am looking for. Besides, the average person on the street seems to like these saturated looks, so I processed these for selling.

Thanks for the words,

Wade

8. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Now that made me laugh, and I needed that after a hard day with the students! :biggrin:

Cheers, and thanks

Wade