1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Knee Pads

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by PLPhoto, Aug 24, 2008.

1. I like to get low to the action on the field when I can, but knees can take a beating.

Any using these and any recommendations on brand and type?

I was thinking a law enforcement tactical store, but can't locate any in my area. The ones I used as an SRT team member were great, but not sure if I want to spend a bundle.

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I've noticed some shooters wearing knee pads and I think they are a worthy adjunct for sports action photographers. I was looking at some today at Home Depot, I should probably take a much closer look.

3. DJVCuda

DJVCuda

Jun 13, 2008
    Atco, NJ
    Alot of construction workers use them ( i know ) lol

Dont get any that are just foam based - they wear our rather fast

4. ubetcha

ubetcha

Nov 12, 2006
    San Diego, Ca
    Phil, there are some great knee pads available for paintball. I have a set made by Dye that have lasted for years and are very comfortable, even on rocks and gravel etc, they should be great for your needs. Try here

http://www.discountpaintball.com/paintball-clothing-pads-knee-and-shin-pads-c-55_75.html

5. I've searched, and searched, and am still searching.

The skateboarding ones aren't comfortable for my knees. The volleyball ones are, but they're a wrap, which isn't comfortable after the first quarter. It's actually really tough to find quality ones. :( 

6. LOL, wow Discountpaintball! I use to buy from them all the time when I was serious into paintballing.

Thanks Mike!

7. vz223

vz223

Dec 7, 2007
    NJ
    Phil,
    Check out Galls.com for LE stuff.

8. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    I am one of the few photographers that shoots from their knees in my area and I went last year and got knee pads. I purchased mine from home depot.

They make some really nice gel ones that feel great.

9. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    I tried knee pads last year, but my old knees couldn't take it. I now use a small stool like this one, that gets me down to the same level. Plus, I'm it allows me to be more 'stable'. :biggrin:

3_Legged_Stool.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I keep it attached to my belt loop, so when I have to move quickly, it moves with me, so no one will trip over it. :wink:

10. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    I just bought a set of gel filled ones from Big Lots for $9.99 , saw the same pair at Lowes for Twenty something.

I thought I might try them this year ,last year my knees were hurting pretty good.

I may try a low stool or chair too.

11. I used a stool like that for about 2 shoots. For some reason the collapseable seat was just plain uncomfortable on the groin (serious rash)

12. Got a stool as well, use it at times....

Got a single gardening kneeling pad that fits in my back pack as well.

And sometimes I use the OEM supplied gear and sit in the dirt....

13. I use that stool above, as well - cost me $3.86!

I find it works great for me - I use a monopod with it

14. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    Only thing I would say is to be careful of using that thing near sidelines because if a player comes at you and falls onto that thing that could really hurt them.

Plus your looking at a possible lawsuit as well so make sure you have insurance/liability.

15. My stool is about 16" high - doubtful it would hurt anyone
    Also, I pay attention to the action and make sure I am clear when necessary

16. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    pablo13,

It doesn't matter how big it is, if the thing is metal or plastic it is just one more thing that could hurt a kid falling or running at you while your sitting there. Accidents happen that's all I am saying and having a chair like that there only increases the chances.

I mean kids can get hurt by falling into your monopod.

Just saying that if you add more objects to the area your shooting I would suggest to make sure you have liability insurance.

17. gotcha

thanks

18. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    :biggrin:

19. I like Galls, ordered from them quite a bit. My only problem with ordering online is that I can't handle them and try them out myself.

I picked up some gel ones from the Depot and they feel great.

20. FWIW,

There are a whole bunch of similar things available, and if you add some tags:

photographer
    SWAT
    SAS
    Special Unit
    Tactical

You might find some wildly different prices for the same stuff.

Knee pads are important, walk down the the local gardening supply company and you might get the same stuff cheaper.

Why do I say that. My dad was a gunner, he spends more time working on his knees in his church garden every day than 90% of photographers on internet forums.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.