Know you know Why ?

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Desert Rat, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Know you know why this birdie is called a Red Tail Hawk.

While at the rehab center last Friday they let me in the flight pen for the relatively recovered wild birds before they are released. The redtails are quite used to people. This one is known as a pig since she grabs one right away every time they bring in fresh mice or rats for food.

I was able to get within 5-6 feet of this girl while she was mantling with her food. Know you can really see why they are called Red Tail hawks. :Shocked:

I also have a shot os a white pelican (yawn) from Sepulveda a week or so ago...

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    The hawk is beautiful.

Must be awesome to be that close.

So is the peli. I like pelis toooooo...
    Exposure on him/her is really good on my LCD monitor ....lolol
    Still can't get used to this thing.

3. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Eric, Eric, Eric,

so are you one of "those" birders that stopped by me when I was out a few weeks ago taking photos of my pels, they slowed down and then commented, oh, just pelicans, they had to other me, comment about my favorite pels, be rude, etc. etc. and condenscending etc. etc. because I am not an "elitist" in my birding and i was photographing "just Pelicans"?

( I am just kidding,) you can't possibly mean "Yawn" taking great shots like that pelican. Great capture, great light, sharp eye, good job on the 70-200 with the tele adapter.

I would love to have seen the "birders" faces if you were there shooting with your beamer at night at "Just" Pelicans, when they couldn't even see the bird. lol

Wade

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I need to post my goofy peli....lolol
    they are fun to photograph and very beautiful if you ask.. did you ask me???? lolol
    oh well

5. Wade Wade Wade, (Shaking my head) :Shocked:

Humm Am i one of those birders... Actually this is the first yerar or time i really have tried out shooting birds or avian images... With film I just never had enough reach with a 300mm lens.. It was just never enough...

==================================================

so are you one of "those" birders that stopped by me when I was out a few weeks ago taking photos of my pels, they slowed down and then commented, oh, just pelicans, they had to other me, comment about my favorite pels, be rude, etc. etc. and condenscending etc. etc. because I am not an "elitist" in my birding and i was photographing "just Pelicans"?
    ( I am just kidding,) you can't possibly mean "Yawn" taking great shots like that pelican. Great capture, great light, sharp eye, good job on the 70-200 with the tele adapter.
    I would love to have seen the "birders" faces if you were there shooting with your beamer at night at "Just" Pelicans, when they couldn't even see the bird. lol
    Wade[/QUOTE]

6. Well Gale just post away with your goofy Pelican shot...

I never asked, but I guess I am asking now.. :Shocked:

7. bfjr

bfjr Guest

[/QUOTE]

I don't get the above :confused: however if I'm reading it right point me to him and I'll show em how bright a BB can be pointing at his face. Could make for some interesting portraits :Shocked: :biggrin: :eek: :tongue:

Great stuff Eric
    and Pelis are never ho hum ever!!

8. Great feather detail Eric and great colors

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Nice shots Eric. The peli is very well done, and the RTH is better than many that you see in birding books. It's amazing how close they will let you get when they are feeding.

10. Wonderful detail in the peli. I'm getting a red X for the hawk shot. (But, it is RED...) :rolleyes:

11. Thanks Mike... Flii flash make a big difference even on bright sunny days...

12. Thanks Frank.. I think they are used to or somewhat used to people when they are being rehabed and you are not considered a threat to them...

13. Humm, Jim try reloading the page again.. Sometimes Pbase has issues with linking images.. It just popped up now when i was looking at the page...

14. Oh my goodness that red tailed hawk is beautiful.

15. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    OK DR...One goofy Peli fer ya.
    Three more in my Merritt II shoot gallery last page :>))

I find alot of humor in nature sometimes :>))