1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Kodachrome, Nothing Like It...

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by stealthman_1, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Some recents from June and July...I love it every time I spill them onto the light table, I curse them every time I try to scan them. Sometimes the very slim DR is a bonus, sometimes it is a curse. When it is gone, a very unique way of looking at the world will be gone too. Time does move on.
    Our local swimmin' hole...
    Leica MP, 35mm f1.2 Voigtlander Nokton
    3824861807_272af10eea_o.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Bodie in Technacolor!
    Leica MP, 21mm f1.4 Summilux
    3825663726_cc599a18c6_o.jpg

My Kitchen Looks Good!
    3824862429_dd659346a6_o.jpg

Bodie Octopus
    3825664426_c501892b3f_o.jpg

Radiant
    3824863537_fa15487d01_o.jpg

Wood
    3824863189_e7a7a99eff_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2009
  2. Wonderful shots! I love the look of Kodachrome - although I've never shot a roll. I wish I could find a couple rolls, but it seems as if it's all disappeared.

3. Thanks Mark! It certainly has its own signature. Check B&H and click the 'notify when in stock' button. It's actually showing up more and more often as the initial crush of get-it-while-you-can orders have slowed substantially. A local retailer here in Sacramento has it in stock.

4. AR90

AR90

Jan 9, 2006
    Netherlands
    Very nice images Tim, very nice indeed. This is also the landscape where it belongs

I will be shooting some KC 25 this afternoon at an outdoor music festival :) 

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    dude. You've got to do some dusting!

:Wink:

6. panda81

panda81

Feb 7, 2008
    Texas
    nice tim! the kitchen shot is my favorite, i love it. it's amazing you even caught the nuances of the peeling wallpaper above the door. also really like #1 :smile:

7. Great series.

I see your images and wonder why the demand for Kodachrome went away.

8. That's an easy one. The dynamic range sucks. Shooting a dark colored dog on a sunny day is just about impossible. Another roll I got back was shot all with a 200mm lens at the lake, even with compressed scenes, it's still tough to not loose a ton of shadows. Velvia is limited as well, but no where near what Kodachrome is. And scanning really is a pain, all of these have needed levels, curves, and shadow/highlight adjustments in PS. I've scanned KR64 with a Coolscan IV, 5000, 9000 and a couple of different flatbeds and it's always a struggle. I'm getting better at it...after 8 years...:rolleyes: 

As many in this forum will attest...I live too close to Bodie:biggrin::rolleyes: 
    I haven't shot it in color in a long while, I was walking around about to leave when I realized I had a roll of Kodachome in my bag and thought...hey! shoot some KR in Bodie! I think it looks right at home. Bodie was dieing just as Kodachrome was introduced. I hope you post some of your 25 shots, I've only got two rolls left.

Ya think?:biggrin: I'm struggling with dust on my negatives...any thoughts???:tongue:

Thanks!
    That one surprised me. I usually struggle with this shot unless I throw some flash on it as I can never figure what to focus on and you're always wide open with this shot with natural light. This time I picked the lantern and it seems to have worked.

9. mhcfires

mhcfires

Aug 23, 2007
    El Cajon, CA
    You live too close to Bodie, I live too far. With my luck the state will lock it up until they get their financial house in order. Death Valley will freeze up in the summer before that is liable to happen. :frown:

Great shots. I have never managed to make it to Bodie. There were always too many distractions along the way, so we never did get up there. You have managed to show the wonders of K'Chrome. I have been busy scanning old ones that my late wife had squirreled away. Still great saturation after fifty years. Makes you wish that they still made the stuff in LF, the stopped about 1951. Keep 'em coming.

10. beautiful shots! i really like all of them

11. Wow, absolutely nice images! I like the kitchen shot, (maid on vacation?) but really like
    Radiant and Wood, too. Excellent work as usual, Tim!

KC and the Stealthman, sounds like a band. ;o)

12. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Canned air - worth it's weight in freon. I go through a lot of it when I am wet printing, also a camel hair brush for the sticky ones. Keep the air still in your work room, and use a humidifier to keep it at 50% RH. Dry your film in a filtered cabinet, and don't walk around with them unnecessarily.

Believe it or not, they actually teach this stuff at my school. Realize though, this is a "do as I say, not as I do" situation. My house is the dust bunny capitol!

13. mhcfires

mhcfires

Aug 23, 2007
    El Cajon, CA
    No way! The dust bunnies in this house are so big that my Scottish Terrier is afraid of them!:eek: 

14. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    These are wonderful shots. I like all of them. While I don't have a film camera anymore, these pictures make me want to use the NIK film filters more often.

15. I like the colors. The swim hole and the kitchen are my favorites.

16. GKR1

GKR1

Apr 19, 2007
    San Diego
    WoW!! nice colors. Great job.

I'm happy to have few rolls.

17. AR90

AR90

Jan 9, 2006
    Netherlands
    I once heard of a non existing place named 'California City' where are like a bunch of roads but no houses were build.

Would that be an interesting location for shooting some KC ?http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q....836609&spn=1.106647,2.469177&t=h&z=9&iwloc=A

I still have a plan for (re)shooting some locations on old KC images like this one http://www.shorpy.com/node/4484?size=_original This building still exist when you look at Google Maps http://maps.google.nl/maps?f=q&sour...7793,-83.06352&spn=0.001552,0.003484&t=h&z=19

I think it would be cool making KC images from like the same locations as then but with 67 years in between. But I have to hurry, next year will be the last to do it :mad: 

18. mhcfires

mhcfires

Aug 23, 2007
    El Cajon, CA
    Hah! I remember California City! It was highly touted as a "Great place to live and bring up your family" in the 1950's It never really got off the ground. As you can see from the map it is in the middle of nowhere. I don't know anyone who actually lived there, probably mostly desert rats and prospectors. Might be a fun project.

19. DangerKilo

DangerKilo

May 14, 2009
    Georgia
    That first shot is simply amazing. I have been impressed by Leica glass, but that shot has nothing to do with the glass. Superb.

Daniel

20. You'll get no debate from me on this - I completely agree with you....
    Stunning captures you've presented - thanks! :cool: 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.