1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Kodak Kodacolor II Science Experiment...

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by stealthman_1, Aug 5, 2009.

1. A lot of times, buying lots of old B&W films you end up with some color stuff too. I've wanted to try shooting some of this stuff for a while and never got around to it. With a load of C-41 ready to develop and a recent thread, I decided to give some vintage a go. When it first came out of the drum, the emulsion side was pure blue/gray/black, the base side tan, like the exposed emulsion on the leader looks, I thought all was lost. I went and grabbed a backlight and I could make out the frame seperators and slight high contrast edges. Maybe there is something there? The film is rated at ISO 80, I shot it at 50, next round I'll shoot at ISO 12, maybe ISO 6. The first frame in the series is the naked scan with autoexposure enabled, the second frame is after PS Auto-Levels, Dust Removal, and a couple with Color Noise Reduction. The last frames on the roll were the best.
    Kodak Kodacolor II, Expiration 1975, from a basement somewhere in Wyoming IIRC (part of a Panatomic-X 120 lot).
    3791227486_92088b47ef_o.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 390114

View attachment 390115

View attachment 390116

View attachment 390117

3791183876_46553774c8_o.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 390119

View attachment 390120

View attachment 390121

I'm shocked! Not gallery material, but certainly shows if you find an old roll that may have family heirloom photos on it, don't give up hope, even if it's 30+ years old. It also shows that a competent developer, with experience in vintage films could pay off big time here. If these were shot 35 years ago, a knowledgeable lab might get decent results, whereas just throwing it in the tank with the rest of the film may be barely salvageable in PS.

Here's the website of another vintage film developer...a bit cheaper than Rocky Mountain Films...
    Film Rescue

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2009
  2. Hovmod

Hovmod

Aug 11, 2008
    Norway
    Very cool!
    What a difference! Well worth your effort.

3. Thanks for sharing this, Tim, (I'm at an eyewash station, lol) the red and white object, is
    that a buoy or someone's model rocket that crash-landed?

Seriously, I'm surprised you got anything at all with such old film.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2009
  4. LOL! That's a bouy.:biggrin: I do see the resemblance to the rocket now though! Probably the companion to Rays giant RC sailboat in the other thread! While our lake got full this year, because Lake Shasta and Lake Oroville are in such bad shape they are draining water out so fast you can about watch it drop. 10 inches a day right now.:frown:

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    That's pretty nifty processing Tim! Almost like magic... :Wink:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.