Kodaks new sensor...hummm D3?

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by GBRandy, Jun 14, 2007.

1. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Perhaps the heart of the new D3?!!!!

2. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Ahhhh...but it will someday...... :)

3. This is good news indeed!

I wonder how this will affect ISO ranges on future DSLRs. Could we be seeing ISOs as low as 25?

This is the HUGE break that Nikon needed. High ISO noise has always been their achilles heal. They've been solid on just about everything else.

Me thinks the days of Canon being the leader in low ISO noise is coming to a close. Don't go switching camps just yet folks....things have just gotten alot more interesting!

John

4. Igor

Igor

May 15, 2005
    Ukraine, Europe
    I'd rather prefer a noiseless ISO1600... or even 6400!!! :eek::biggrin:

5. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    I dunno...I read that article and could not help start to tie some pieces together. Perhaps...just perhaps.... the reason Nikon has been so mum on the next generation is a development effort with Kodak on something as radical and drastic as a new sensor....which I see as the achilys (sp) heel of Nikon's product strategy.

Showing up in 2008 with a D3X that incorporates a new technology sensor that has two stops of low light improvement for clean ISO 6400 images would be a pretty good swat at Canon for sure.... couple that with the perceived lens superiority and THAT would be interesting at the professional level...

I am probably way out in left field...but maybe not.... :)

Am I a rumor monger or what? !

6. Didn't the Kodak dSLR offer ISO 6? I seem to recall that in their literature.

7. Randy,

That would be a great improvement, but the problem is that the prototype sensors won't be available until the first quarter of 2008 and regular production chips won't arrive for an additional 3-6 months. That projects out until late 2008 or early 2009 at the earliest. I don't think Nikon can wait that long to introduce a D3.

Mike

8. Usually, these sort of 'breakthrough' announcements are destined for products 3-5 years down the road. I highly doubt the D3 would use this technology.

JohnG

9. Toby D

Toby D

Mar 7, 2006
    Iowaay
    I saw that story and hope the same things. Depends on how hooked together Nikon is with Sony.

10. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    this is on the news line over at DPR as well. they said the sensitivity would be at the expense of color resolution which would be 1/4 of what it currently is. I would rather have better colors than usable iso 3200. I rarely use over 400 now as it is.

11. If this turns out to be true Canon will buy Kodak just to keep that sensor out of the hands of the competition.

12. AndyE

AndyE

May 2, 2005
    Vienna, Austria
  13. Your idea is probably the worse business move one could think of.
    Much simpler to just buy Nikon and leave it as an independent entity/competitor rather then to buy Kodak and kill the sensor.

14. Buy Nikon, what's the point?

The sensor is the prize. Anyone puts that sensor in a pro body is going to blow out Canon's strongest suit... Hi ISO. If this thing works out we are looking at a leap in technology equivalent to the what the LCD is to the CRT.

15. Is this an improvement over what Fuji has already done?

Fuji's sensor in the S5 has a set of luminance only sensors between the color ones.

And I don't believe we see enough of a difference there to challenge the 5D, for example.

Gives me hope, but I'll believe it when I can order one up.

I seen enough blabber at this point to think Sony has a near FF sensor and Nikon and others will be delivering that in cameras any time now. I think that's our best hope for better high ISO for the time being.

Long term, I think Foveon's concept will win. I've seen enough SD14 images that look just as good detail wise as a D2X or 5D image, but without the Bayer artifacts to believe in it.

16. Double the light sensitivity equals 1 f-stop - hardly a quantum leap!

17. carlsson

carlsson

Jul 29, 2006
    I hope the D3 will make Bayer interpolation history: filtering away 2/3 of the light and interpolating seems dated compared to a foveon for example.
    But the kodak chip is even worse: a little more light but very, very coarse color resolution: a step backwards, and kodak seems to admit: 12 MP are marketed for mobile phones... we won't see it in a nikon.

Carlsson

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2007
  18. mkawa

mkawa

Apr 25, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    we won't see chips using this process for a couple years anyways.

19. nail on head.

20. There's MUCH more to it than 1 f-stop. Read the explanation