Konstruktor - Build Your Own FF SLR for $25

Well my brother showed me something fun today, and I thought I'd share with you as it's unlikely anyone else has it. It's a very new product called Konstruktor - an SLR camera with a reversed, top-side viewfinder you build yourself and which accepts 35mm film. The 'kit' lens (bringing new meaning to the term) feels pretty standard, is fixed at f/10, and focuses from 5 meters to infinity.

The cool thing is the viewfinder, which folds for travel and deploys to form an open light box with a pop-up plastic lens which forms the final image. The image in the viewfinder is reversed though, so when I composed a frame I had to be very cognizant of what I was doing; the extra effort required made me slow down and think more about what I was seeing, beneficial in its own right.

9157186920_573f676379_c.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Konstruction by Lunitic, on Flickr

Real Name
Chris
That's the Lomo camera kit, right? It's a cool idea and camera, but the specs are just a little too low for me. I figure it does well in bright light with medium speed film, but couldn't live with the 5 meter minimum focus distance. - Is that right? Plus, everyone is gonna think the pictures came from Instagram.

It DOES look like it would be fun to play with, and fortunately it's priced that way. Be sure to post what you shot with it once the film comes back.

I think I will look into this. If only for the build it yourself camera. 5 meters is pushing it, but at F10 the hyperfocal may pull more of the photo into focus if you are careful... hrmmm fun idea, wont be my main camera.

It really is just a fun project camera. I feel like as digital moves forward and becomes more accessible, film falls by the wayside so a 'cool' introductory DIY film camera getting people interested in film again could be really great both for exposing people to film photography and the greater photography hobby itself; I doubt any pros would use this for serious work but would love to be proven wrong :smile:.

I am worried that film is going to disappear completely soon... I just don't want that to happen. I suppose I could get more into digital, but for me the hobby is in the analog aspect of film. I would have to relearn to like photography with a digital camera. As it is, my preferred digital camera is not my d200, but my 7 year old sony cybershot which is much more convenient and permitted in more places than my SLR. Regardless, I do not see myself giving up photography if film goes by the wayside, but I can't help but be pleased that film is making any kind of comeback.

Real Name
Chris
I am worried that film is going to disappear completely soon...

Nah, it won't. You have places in the world (like south/southeast Asia and South America) that still use a LOT of film. Plus Kodak's just sold it's film unit to investors that say they want to build it, and there's Ilford, Fuji and some other European and Chinese manufacturers. Eventually film may go away, like oil paint and vinyl records did*, but it won't be soon.

* oh wait

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom