Kowa f1(!) lens images....

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by Classic_Man, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Got this from eBay, overpriced($169) but at least I got it.

Amazing possibilities: it literally opens up a new world.

here's one from across the street:

This lens produces images with VERY soft contrast, curves were bumped up in RAW. No other PS or color manipulation.

regards,
    C_M

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Nice.
    Never heard of this lens.
    Boy the lens craze has become very popular and seeing great peices of work.
    Good to see folks, going "Out Of The Box" so to speak.

3. Try it..... you'll like it.

The lens came with a Nikon F mount adaptor attached (permanently), I believe.

There is no aperture, no focus ring.

One aperture, one focus distance....very soft contrast, lovely OOF areas.

Here's a teaser:

Feel free to ask any questions, I'll be happy to help where I can.:smile:

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Another beauty.
    Thanks for sharing.

5. You put that hunk of glass to good use. Very nice images. I also saw your post over at DPR.
    As I have already mentioned there I have recently acquired a Rodenstock TV-Heligon 42/0.75. Have to wait for the weekend to test it.

Cheers

6. Harry...

Harry, these lenses produce images that have LOW contrast, but stand well to curves....especially if you tweak curves in your RAW convertor.

Believe it or not, this lens will make you look at normal, everyday objects witha new mindset....

I'm curious: did you find that Rod. Heligon on eBay, or where?

I haven't been able to locate that f 0.75 lens; yet I know there are quite a number floating around the 'net.

regards,

C_M

7. Classicman, I got my 42/0.75, 55/0.8, 68/1.0 and 75/1.1 Rodenstocks through EBay.
    There's a certain seller I can recommend to you- they seem to get them quite regularly.
    I got all 4 for $250ish total.
    I've experimented with holdign the lens in the K extension rings until my father returns on Tuesday- then I can use his drill press to bolt the adapters to the back of the lenses. I'm using cokin 52mm filter adapters and the BR-5 52-62mm reversing ring for the on-lens threads. Then, its a combination of the BR-2A reversing ring or the K extension set or both for various magnifications etc.
    I'm actually going to attempt building a reverse mount (external front threads) for the 68/1.0 XR-Heligon- I've held the 75/1.1 in reverse and achieved infinity focus, despite rather nasty CA :) Though I think that was the whole point.
    I haven't grabbed any of the Kowas yet, based on Bjorn's recommendations for getting the kit up and running. But they are on my list, as well as an Oude Delft Rayxar if I can find one.

Very nice pics, by the way. Sometimes I wonder what I'm doing wrong :frown: I've gotten some nice ones, but I like the colors I see in yours better than what i've had a chance to get. The shorter ones (42, 55, and 68) can often produce an effect very different from the 75 in color though.

8. I, too, got all from ebay. In addition to the 42/0.75 (which already has an F-mount), I have the XR 75/1.1 and a Rayxar 50/.075. Oddly enough, there were 3 Rayxars on ebay within one month. The first one was bought by Bjorn:smile: (99 EURO), the second one I got for 13,50 and the day after another one sold for about 100 EURO. I don't understand the price difference as I could not see any difference in the lenses, except that the more expensive ones were in obviously absolute pristine condition and had different haptics.

My 75/1.1 has two scratches on the front element, but who cares at f1.1? Maybe that will even give me funny flares:smile:

They seem to show up on ebay at regular intervals. I guess another reason why I got my Rayxar so cheap was that it was posted in a somewhat cryptic category. I usually do not browse the respective categories but rather use the search function.

Harrison, good finding about the reverse mounting thing - infinity focus on such a lens would be an achievable thing, and I wouldn't expect stellar picture quality anyway.

Cheers

9. I'll try to get some samples of my infinity focus attempts up soon. My nikonians gallery thankfully survived their crash and was restored.

10. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Looks like you all are ready for the current contest - BLUR.