Kruzel Group Headshots

Did some company profile head shots for a friend of mine. This is the first time I have ever tried something like this so let me know what you think. They wanted more casual photos for their website bios.

1)
5566741822_cbb3944d48_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2)
5566163047_91b6b099b5_b.jpg

3)
5566162767_bded75ed27_b.jpg

4)
5566740982_78e20cd025_b.jpg

Aberky,

I think for your first time out you did exceptionally well. My critiques would involve not using so much colored light one one side of their faces. Try to make it slightly more uniform, unless they really want an edgy look for company profile shots. Also, #4 seems very soft to me... Any idea why?

They wanted something edgy for it. I used a constant light as the primary on the left and used my SB 900 as a fill. WB set for the constant light led the background to turn blue, which the client especially liked. Not sure why 4 was soft, when editing it, it looked sharper so Ill re-examine. Thanks for the comment.

Aaron, I think part of the problem with using the colored lights is that the color changes significantly from left to right across the picture. For me, that is distracting. Other than that, they look nice, a little soft, but nice.

Thank you for the comment. I am trying to learn how to use my SB 900, so I will try to play around with the blending of constant lighting and flash to minimize that drastic change. Having set the white balance to the constant light led to the blue resulting from the flash. I will also try to plan to shoot earlier in the day so better lighting makes the focus a little easier and hopefully sharper. In terms of composition or posing is there anything you would recommend?

Shoot off a tripod to solve the sharpness issue. #2 is the best in terms of overall lighting... try to have a little more fill on the dark side of the face so that it is darker, but not shadowy. The point is to make the darkness more even. For males, try for little to no head tilt. IMO it just looks too feminine. Otherwise, these are fine. Just work on the lighting issues. :smile:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom