Kudos to Paul aka Montydog aka Sleuthing Paul and Patrick Bramlett at Nikon Cafe

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nfoto, Jan 6, 2006.

1. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Just a quick update on my disk crash situation. I'm pretty sure I can retrieve at least 70% of my test shots in an indirect manner by using copies of the uploaded raw data files but retrieving and reprosessing them can take up to 2 weeks meaning the long-awaited review of D200 probably won't go online before 15 January at earliest, more likely around 20 January.

Patrick Bramlett stepped forward and offered software to help recover data from the crashed disk. I'm running the disk scanner right now, but it is excruciatingly slow on the badly damaged drive so I'll have to wait until midnight today before I can learn whether or not any files are recoverable. I might save nearly a week of work if the recovery succeeds, so it is well worth waiting for the scanner to complete its tip-toeing over the disk surfaces :biggrin:

The worst damage, apart from having a delayed review, was the e-mail orders from clients amongst them Oxford University Press. Thanks to the assistance given by Paul aka Montydog (including sniffing and sleuthing in a dog-like manner I presume), I have reopened my contacts with the clients and am positioned to provide the ordered files as of tomorrow.

The Nikon Cafe community is really unique. A very warm thank you to all members!

2. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    Hope you can get it all fixed, and recover as much as possible, look forward to reading the review, as 20th is my birthday!

3. This is ALL GOOD Bjorn! Despite the bad that occurred!

4. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Glad to hear all of your hard was wasn't in vain, and a hearty "NICE GOING!" to Pat & Paul!

5. Good to hear.

Makes me think again about these RAID things. :rolleyes: The mirrored kind, that is.

6. Halleluja!!!

7. That is excellent news.

That is him down to a tee.

BW. Bob F.

8. nfoto

nfoto Guest

I do have a RAIDed workflow, barring the intial stage where data flows into the network. That more vulnerable stage of the image pipeline of course was the one which failed and concomitantly the current backup tape was corrupt (Murphy's Law in duplicate). However, RAID isn't a panacea for all disk problems and you can end up with a non-workable system nevertheless. But these isssues will often comprise "only" a crashed file system, and that can more easily be fixed compared to a physically damaged disk drive. I remember a summer a few years ago, when I returned from a summer field trip and uploaded 100 GB of files to a disk on the server, had a crash on the mobile storage drive so it literally was a clean slate, switched it off, went into the kitchen to make some strong coffee and returned a few minutes later to find the 100 GB non-readable because the server disk all of a sudden had "lost" its entire file system. RAID 1 (mirroring) couldn't prevent a logical error like that. Fortunately, I was able to recover all the data and the RAIDed disks were OK again after I had reformatted them and reloaded the data onto the RAID array.

Is the morale here not to drink coffe? Not so sure about that.

9. I have been very lucky over the years, even going back to the early 80s and have only very rarely lost a hard disk (or floppy :wink: ).

My plan so far has been redundancy. Separate hard disks. Still, there is a moment where I could easily lose a day's worth of images. That would put me in a foul mood.

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Bjorn,
    this i wonderful news.

Patrick and Paul are special folks for sure :>)))

11. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Two weeks ago I woke up from a strong smell of burnt pcboard. I went to look for the source and found it coming from the PC. I'd left it running like I do most of the time - in fact I hardly ever turned it off for the past 2 years.

After closer inspection, the graphics board had a transistor totally burned out - it actually burnt a hole into the board. Luckily there weren't any wires nearby - else I guess the whole PC and maybe our house would have gone up in flames.

I too have dual (actually 3) disks, one of which is for backup only, which I do frequently and definitely when I have something I want to keep.

I used to burn CDs, later DVDs for backup and store them at work, to have a real backup. But lately I got lazy. I guess I will return to this habbit.

12. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Bjorn, I really hope everything works out OK. Wish you luck!!!

13. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Latest News

After having scanned the disk for 30 hours and still gotten only half-way through, RStudio crashed on its own when it obviously entered the "hole" in the disk. No files could be extracted from the drive. So the disk platters are damaged beyond ordinary recovery. Only possibility now would be to send the faulty drive to a high-tech disk reconstruction facility, but that could easily set me back another $ 5.000 to $ 10.000 :mad: My attitude towards expenses is relaxed but this level is out of bounds for recovering data for an unpaid review. So, I'll have to look forward to 2 weeks of reconstruction and post-processing work myself from the various bits and pieces of my files found on the network servers (except for the late Mr. Linux of course which will forever be too late for anything).

In my native Norwegian, we have apt and precise sayings for this kind of contingencies, but even stated in original language and devoid of the added Finnish phrases used to augment the impact on special occasions, I fear the words will burn a hole straight through the Cafe boards and tables. So I rest my case herewith.

Instead I take the opportunity to urge all of you to reconsider and test your strategies for securing and backing up image data. Don't push the envelope, look straight into the dangers, and never presume this "couldn't happen to me". With the steadily increasing sizes of hard drives coupled with bigger files and lower quality control from the manufacturer, anyone of you could experience something similar.

Finally, I do appreciate the massive support I've gotten from Cafe members. I managed to recover the image order from Oxford University Press thanks to Paul aka the Master Sleuth. And Patrick, no software, even yours so generously and helpfully provided, can read data from a void in the disk platters. I was just another victim of Murphy's Law. It applies to everyone of us. Do take care.

14. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Sorry to hear that Bjorn,
    However so glad you got your contacts back. Probably the most important.

You are right about the Unpaid review.

We are using the cameras and enjoying. So take your time. When it gets here we will be thankful and appreciative for you hard work.

Thank you for bieng part of this forum.

You are appreciated and looked up to :>)))

15. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    Bjorn
    We are all grateful for your massive contribution to this forum and I think I speak for all when I say thank you. Any support we can give you as a group will be more than willingly given. And a great thank you to Patrick and Paul for showing that gratitude in a concrete and constructive way. Sorry about the crashing - but I think we have probably all had to deal with it at one time or another. Great that the pecuniary shock was not prohibitive.

16. U B Da Real Deal, Mon !!

Bjørn -- THANK YOU!! I'm taking this to heart TODAY. I've been postponing dealing with the whole Backup thing. I hope the Norwegian Karmic Authorities :smile: have taken note of your willingness to share your disaster story so that the rest of us can take heed and take steps and go perform good and useful actions for protecting our images. May good flow back to you !

17. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Bjorn, I'm sorry to hear your disk recovery didn't work. I too share the appreciation for your hard work, and for your input here on the forum.

18. I'm sure Paul and Patrick are honored to gove something back to someone who's contributed so much to the Cafe.

19. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    This is so very true!

20. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;