Kurt Vonnegut Has Passed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rick Waldroup, Apr 12, 2007.

1. One of the great American novelists of our time, Kurt Vonnegut has passed away. He was 84 years old. While he is probably best known for Slaughterhouse Five, I was always partial to Cat's Cradel and Breakfast of Champions. He will be missed.

2. VoidRaven

VoidRaven

Jul 13, 2006
    Lagrange, OH
    He will indeed be missed. A literary great now gone.

3. Yep Don, this is a bummer. By the way, for those who may not know, he is married to a great photographer, Jill Krementz.

4. Despite his commercial success, Vonnegut battled depression throughout his life and in '84 attempted suicide with pills and alchohol, joking later about how he botched the job.
    His mother killed herself just before he left for Germany during WWII, where he was taken prisoner during the Battle of the Bulge.
    He was being held in Dresden when Allied bombs created a firestorm that killed and estimated 135,000 people in the city.
    He spent 23 years struggling to write about the ordeal, which he survived by huddling with another POW inside an underground meat locker labelled slaughterhouse-five.

What a tortured mind he must have had. A great writer indeed.

5. Toby D

Toby D

Mar 7, 2006
    Iowaay
    RIP Kurt. I wonder, there was a quaint tradition in Iowa City. Kurt studied there and ever since, the current residents who live in that house are required to put on a party May 1. Some claim its written into the lease. Every year it came off, usuaully a large affair and very merry(inebriated). I wonder if it still happens, though it will be somber this year. I hope it continues as a reminder of a great and tortured genius.

6. I read all his novels and every now and then I re-read one to
    help re-humanize myself.

7. I'm sad to learn this news. One of the truly great and gifted writers of modern times....

8. For many reasons I find this sad news indeed.

1. The world loses a talented writer, and one who always made me think
    2. It is yet another reminder of my own mortality
    3. I have to agree with Rick ...... :wink: :wink: :biggrin: :tongue: :tongue:

RIP Kurt, the world will miss you, but we will always have your words to remind us.

9. I like #3 the best.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: I know that must have been a real pain for you. Good. I'm glad.:biggrin: :biggrin:

You know, this brings up an interesting observation. We have some real American literary giants that are getting up there in years- Updike, Mailer, Roth, just to name a few. I have a feeling we will be losing more of our literary masters here in the near future.

10. ZBaum

ZBaum Guest

RIP Kurt. He is easily my favorite author. His work has such a humor and at the same time, so much truth about humans and the ways that we live. He knew no boundaries, and as a result, his books were outstanding. I might have to reread some of his books now...

11. Sad news indeed.

I blogged about it very early today, including a link to the best obit I read today.

And one of his quotes:
    "True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country." -- Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

12. "..so it goes."

13. it seems a little off to say it but i do hope kurt's passing will encourage more people to introduce themselves to his terrific body of work and others to be reminded of it.

as the years pass his novels become more and more urgent and important. most of us could stand to take a few lessons from them to heart in our everyday lives.

a world class voice in fiction

14. One of his most memorable statements was that artists are society's canary in the coal mine. He was one of the greatest and I will miss his presence.

15. Jaws

Jaws

Mar 27, 2007
    Columbia, MD
    This is my favorite quote of his:

"I can think of no more stirring symbol of man's humanity to man than a fire engine." Kurt Vonnegut