L’Abbazia di Nonantola

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
I was in Modena for work, and after I had finished my site visit, I detoured to the Romanic L’Abbazia di Nonantola, just outside of Modena. The Museum was closed for Covid restrictions but the Abbey was open.

The abbey dates from the Eleventh century and was altered as the centuries passed. In the late Nineteenth century the Abbey was restored to its original Romanic appearance. It is possible to see traces of the Baroque elements that were stripped out. The crypt is one of the largest crypts in Europe and has exactly twice as many columns as the more famous Duomo di Modena nearby.

I mainly wanted to experiment with the Z7 with the 24mm TS hand held, as well as testing out my new second Z7 body. I brought my tripod along and made a few shots with the D810 + TS24 on the tripod.

DSC_0696_DxOsmall.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC_6594 1.jpg

DSC_0586 1.jpg

3 The Crypt

DSC_6617 1.jpg

DSC_0585 1.jpg

DSZ_7577 1.jpg

6 The font, fashioned from a Roman relic

DSC_0684 1.jpg

7 We can see where the Baroque additions were removed

DSC_0670 1.jpg

8 The Prespitary

DSZ_7562 1.jpg

DSZ_7591 1.jpg

DSZ_7580 1.jpg

10 Nonantola

Sigh—such fabulous old buildings. Such character.
Rick_reno and I are from a state where the oldest standing buildings are, perhaps,120 years old.

#2 is amazing, as is the first shot of the crypt.

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
Wonderful set, as I was scrolling thru them it felt like I was there. Thank you for sharing these, they're marvelous.
Thank you, that is a great compliment

Sigh—such fabulous old buildings. Such character.
Rick_reno and I are from a state where the oldest standing buildings are, perhaps,120 years old.

#2 is amazing, as is the first shot of the crypt.

Thanks.

I do not know about Idaho, but whilst killing time the other evening, wandering around the WWW, I finished up reading some stuff about the "Mississippian culture", and a site in Saint Louis and the Navajo National Monument, in Arizona. North America it seems does have a lot of ancient history, with various peoples replacing others over the centuries. The Navajo people replaced the the people who built the famous rock dwellings. I spent a fascinating hour exploring some of your history.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
I echo Nick's sigh...this is a wonderful series and I miss the towns in Italy so much! One day. However, in the meantime, I have your fantastic images to look upon. Well done!

• Appreciate
Reactions: NCV

Latest threads

Top Bottom