L-358 and Flash - Help!

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by cdnpilot, Jul 21, 2008.

1. I bought a Sekonic L-358 and using it in normal light, it works fine. I bought it to work with two flash units (SB800 and SB600). When I have the SB800 mounted on the D300 - the settings it provides work great. When I take it off the shoe (wired) - it gives me odd readings (1/160th and 1.1...). I have tried several times and can repeat it.

The meter is set to flash mode, wireless.... anyone have any ideas? I must be fat fingering something....

2. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Are the flashes being used in manual mode? Not sure why you would be metering in other than wireless, manual mode.

3. Yes - manual. I had set them both up in wireless mode when I notice the problem. I shut one flash down - same problem. Then I did what I had posted above... It has to be something really dumb I missed.....

4. Well, found one duh... batteries were dying in the SB800 - seems to work now in manual mode... but... is it possible the pre-flash when in wireless is setting off the light meter reading? It will not work on the wireless flash set up....

5. yendikeno

yendikeno

Mar 31, 2008
    CA
    If your flashes are in manual mode then there shouldn't be any pre-flashes.

6. Yes - and this is when it works. When I try to hook up another flash in wireless mode - that is when it seem to key off the pre-flash. Does that make sense?

7. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    You need to describe your setup more accurately. What is the trigger (the D300)? What are the remotes set to (Remote?). What mode are you using (TTL or Manual)?

8. Sorry - guess I was tired and tried to describe quickly. D300 is the trigger, the flash units are set to remote - both on same channel, and both full power in manual mode. It seems that the pre-flash is setting the reading off on the light meter.

This morning, I set the D300 to rear sync, 2 second shutter exposure and it worked perfectly. The reading it gave me when dialed into the D300 was right. My thought in the rear sync and 2 second exposure was to try and get a pause befween the pre-flash and the flash output.

If you can think of a better way please let me know.

Thanks!

9. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Without being sure of exactly what you are trying to do:

1. Put the remotes to TTL and rely on Nikon to get it right.

2. Leave them in Manual and adjust via the LCD and histogram

3. Use a radio trigger (e.g. Pocketwizard)