L Bracket for camera or MB-D10?

I plan on buying a RRS or Kirk L bracket for my D700. I'm agonizing over whether to get it for the D700, or for the D700 with the MB-D10 attached.
Does anyone have any positive, or negative, experiences with the L bracket for the motor drive?

I have the D300 as well, and know that I can use the bracket for either with the motor drive on the camera. What I am concerned about is a possible loss of stability using the L bracket and the motor drive. ( Similar to what is supposed to happen when shooting in a vertical mode with a ball.)

I've read the recent posts and MB-D10 poll. I've done a search and looked at older comments. I think I saw only one real negative comment about using the L on the motor drive.

My objective is to get a more stable platform for my camera when doing macro with my Nikkor 105, or using my Nikkor 180, vertically. (The convenience and stability should be good for any of my lenses.)

Any appropriate comments will be greatly appreciated!

I use a Kirk L with the grip and also used an RRS with my D200/MB-D200. They feel like an extension of the camera body to me, and I notice no instability at all with my MB-D10 (the only perception of instability with the D200 was inherent in the less robust grip itself). As far as the profile adding height and thus less stability is rendered mostly moot if a decent head is used.

With the return policies of both RRS and Kirk, just order one and try it. All you have to do is return it if you aren't totally happy. Personally, even though these devices are wat overpriced for what thy are, I much prefer having an L bracket on for convenience AND, not insignificantly the added impact protection!

Sounds like either way okay

It seems like my decision might just as well be based on whether I'll be leaving the MB-D10 on more often then not.

Thanks Vinman!

Bill,

I have a Kirk L-bracket for my MB-D10 and D300. Stable, very solid. Both are on all the time, I even have one end of the Nikon stock strap attached to the L-bracket.

The grip does add weight, the bracket just compounds that. I have small hands, shooting portrait mode with a bracket took some practice. It also makes things a bit tighter in bags. The bracket is machined really well, no problems accessing the grip battery pack or the camera ports. Lastly the grip does not allow the camera to lie flat on a table, it's not as stable ungripped. This is problematic with short lenses like a 35 f/1.8 or 50 f/1.4.

I shoot sports so the grip is indispensable. The bracket with a Kirk BH-1 ballhead makes portraits, macros, etc... really easy.

When I need to go "light", I unscrew the grip and go.

RRS vs Kirk? I looked at both. That is a tossup. I bought the latter because I was able to buy locally. If you get the QR lever, make sure you get the correct ballhead plate for it.

I hope this helps. Good luck. :smile:

Bill, that's exactly right! The only times I pull the grip off is when I need light and compact. In those situations a tripod, bracket, nor the grip are needed. Honestly, those occasions are pretty rare as I prefer the ergonomics of the camera when gripped. It's nice when needed, though!

Latest threads

Top Bottom