L-bracket with D2x

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by David Fink, May 27, 2005.

1. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I was out shooting with a friend today who has the RRS bracket on his D2X. Loves it. I plan to buy one also.

3. I have the kirk l-brackets on both my D2X and D2H. I dont think there is an ounce of difference between them and RRS but I really like the kirk Brothers and enjoy doing buisness with them. I would not be without these brackets now.

4. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I can't comment on the quality of all RRS stuff, but I will say I'm pretty disappointed in the annodized finish of my RRS D70 L-bracket. It's more purple than black in color, and the finish has flaked off in some places showing the metal underneath. Functionally it works fine though. On the other hand the finish on my Kirk replacement foot for the 70-200VR doesn't have any of these issues. I'm not the only person who has noticed this with some of the RRS plates, but I don't know to what extent it affects their various products or whether it's something they've improved on (my L-plate is about a year old).

Both companies have a reputation for making good stuff. The Kirk parts tend to be slightly less expensive while some RRS parts have aesthetically more pleasing designs.

5. Well, that's odd. I wonder what happened to the other replies on this thread? Earlier there was one from Scott, one from Steve S., and one from me where I reported that I have gone ahead and ordered the Kirk bracket.

Very odd that all those replies have now disappeared.

In any case, thanks John, and Dave, and Jeff for your input.

Best wishes,

David

6. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    replies

we had a server malfunction and i upgraded our bandwith. sorry for losing some posts. In hindsight i should have disabled the board first. i appologize for the inconvenience.

thanks

7. Re: replies

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the explanation. Certainly was helpful to know that it wasn't something I did!

No big deal in any case.

Best wishes,

David

8. Oh my God.......I've been deleted. Does that mean I had to turn in my Cafe' membership card?

Have a great weekend,

Scott

9. I know how you feel, Scott. I was afraid I had been excommunicated.

Have a great weekend, too.

David

10. David,

I bought the RRS L bracket and the portrait flash kit this week. The L bracket and flash bracket are really well made. I expect they'll outlast the camera and me. The L bracket feels just right mounted on the camera when I hand hold so I think I'll just leave it on all the time. However, when I add the flash bracket the whole thing starts to weigh alot. I had a dream last night where I couldn't lift the camera to my eye for that one glorious shot. I know, time to stop with the night caps before hitting the sack. :D

11. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Mark,

What are your impressions of the RRS flash bracket kit? Specifically:

1) Does it get in the way of the zoom or focus rings with the lenses you've used?

2) How easy/fast is it to change camera orientation?

3) How portable/collapsable is it for storage?

Thanks,

12. Jeff,
    I use this flash braket as well and here are my answers to the questions you posed to mark.
    ) Does it get in the way of the zoom or focus rings with the lenses you've used?

no interference at all.

2) How easy/fast is it to change camera orientation?

The bracket has several adjustments which makes orientation changes no problem.

3) How portable/collapsable is it for storage?

not very my only nit

13. Jeff,

dwphoto summed up my observations very well. The bracket is well made and thoughtfully laid out. It's very adjustable and easy to switch from landscape to portrait. As far as storage goes it breaks down into two parts that are easier to store than the stroboframe camera flip bracket I use on my D70.

HTH,

14. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Dave and Mark, thanks for the feedback. Looks like another expensive accessory to add to my list. :)