L. quadrimaculata

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Pendragon, Jun 8, 2007.

1. DBrim

DBrim

May 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Oh wow... number two looks like a stained glass window. On number three, I think that perhaps the DOF could be just a tiny bit deeper so all of the wings could be in focus, but that's just personal preference.

2. Great shots.

Alex

3. Beautiful shots

#3 is my favorite, the grey background really brings out the gold.

4. mdsign

mdsign

Jun 14, 2006
    Netherlands
    I like the last one. Maby crop a litle form the left? colors and background are perfect.

cheers, Mark

5. Excellent shots, Jan!

6. Unless I am very much mistaken this effect is due to what I know as 'Pre-Maiden Fight Inflorescence.'

Explanation. When the imago has finished emerging the wings are still moist and if you get the camera at the right angle to the wings then these colours can be seen and photographed. The dragonfly then takes its' maiden flight and rests, normally in the sun, and the wings dry out and become dry, stiff and brittle. For reasons that are not entirely obvious, I have found that this species of dragonfly. L. quadrumaculata, shows these colours more conspicuiously than other species.

BW. Bob F.

7. Oh, wasn't aware that you already shot that species that I got last sunday. And I thought mine was looking good... yours look awesome.

8. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Wow. They are great shots. Amazingly clean background for ISO 500.