L102: 1.2 Position/Distance

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Ray C., Jun 25, 2007.

1. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/

"Summary: By the end of this discussion, you should completely understand the following two statements:

1. Light has depth of field.
    2. With enough light, you can turn a white wall black."

Hopefully, we'll get some more participation on this one...

Let's rock...

2. Number 2 above is an interesting statement and one that I initially rejected out of hand. After reading his lesson material I can now see that he means with enough light on the subject you can indeed turn a white wall black. The key is in thinking of the light in relation to the subject and the wall and not just on the wall itself. Fun.

3. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I'm sorry that I have not been able to play yet. Life is keeping me busy.

4. Sharon

Sharon

Feb 18, 2006
    I had to enlist the help of the "maid", but I got the assignment done. I was amazed at how this worked and thrilled that I seemed to get a pretty good result.

The last two images were done really just to satisfy my own curiosity to see if I could make it work with a brightly lit window behind the subject. I had to move in closer on the subject to avoid having the flash in the shot, but it worked quite well. The window is still behind the flowers in the last shot and it is barely visible.

[​IMG]

5. Good for you Sharon, you have done great on this assignment.

6. Sharon

Sharon

Feb 18, 2006
    Thanks, Gordon! I was quite amazed at the results and am looking forward to the next lesson.