La Jolla Pelicans

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Retief, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Nancy had been trying to get a Flying Pelican in California so late one afternoon, near Sunset, we made our way to Seal Rock in La Jolla, CA. Pretty neat to watch almost 2 dozen Harbor Seals haul out on the beach here, but we were looking for the Pelicans. We saw a batch flying South, so we set up to catch the next bunch flying South. Of course, what should happen, but a huge bunch flying North.

Wong Way Pelicans...
    DSC9987.sized.

The real pits to watch this many go by when we could not turn around. I had set up the D2H with the 70-200 plus TC-20E on my Gimbal for Nancy to practice with, but she wasn't quite ready to run around the tripod.

But we did get some coming toward us:
    DSC0020.sized.

and Nancy was able to track these better, here is one from the sequence:
    DSC0021.sized.

Strangely enough as they got close she had a tougher time keeping up with them. None of us have ever had that problem, eh :?: :?: :?: But she was getting better as time went on.

Then this guy flew by, pretty close, but Nancy did not want to try, she told me to. I had almost no time to acquire, lock-on and shoot, but I did get 2 frames. The sun is almost directly behind me, I like the coloaration. This is almost full frame, if I'd had the 500 with the 1.4 I would not have seen the whole bird.

DSC0068.sized.

2. Lisa

Lisa

May 3, 2005
    IL
    Very nice sequence. I love photographing birds, but have found tracking them to be extremely difficult. Coming towards me has always proven impossible. I think Nancy did a fine job getting that lone pelican coming towards her.

I used to live in La Mesa and made my way to La Jolla a few times. Very lovely place.