La Jolla Pelicans

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Retief, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Nancy had been trying to get a Flying Pelican in California so late one afternoon, near Sunset, we made our way to Seal Rock in La Jolla, CA. Pretty neat to watch almost 2 dozen Harbor Seals haul out on the beach here, but we were looking for the Pelicans. We saw a batch flying South, so we set up to catch the next bunch flying South. Of course, what should happen, but a huge bunch flying North.

Wong Way Pelicans...
    DSC9987.sized.jpg

The real pits to watch this many go by when we could not turn around. I had set up the D2H with the 70-200 plus TC-20E on my Gimbal for Nancy to practice with, but she wasn't quite ready to run around the tripod.

But we did get some coming toward us:
    DSC0020.sized.jpg

and Nancy was able to track these better, here is one from the sequence:
    DSC0021.sized.jpg

Strangely enough as they got close she had a tougher time keeping up with them. None of us have ever had that problem, eh :?: :?: :?: But she was getting better as time went on.

Then this guy flew by, pretty close, but Nancy did not want to try, she told me to. I had almost no time to acquire, lock-on and shoot, but I did get 2 frames. The sun is almost directly behind me, I like the coloaration. This is almost full frame, if I'd had the 500 with the 1.4 I would not have seen the whole bird.

DSC0068.sized.jpg

2. Lisa

Lisa

May 3, 2005
    IL
    Very nice sequence. I love photographing birds, but have found tracking them to be extremely difficult. Coming towards me has always proven impossible. I think Nancy did a fine job getting that lone pelican coming towards her.

I used to live in La Mesa and made my way to La Jolla a few times. Very lovely place.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.