1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

La Jolla Seal Pool

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by mhcfires, Jul 27, 2009.

1. mhcfires

mhcfires

Aug 23, 2007
    El Cajon, CA
    The so-called Children's Pool in La Jolla has been taken over by the seals. I'm not going to take a stand either way on this issue, but it has been a hot topic and much money has been spent in litigation over who has the right to this little stretch of beach. I went down to check it out the other day, Ilford XP2 Super in Nikon N80.

Seals on the rocks:
    3746524832_5c40365f03_o.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

TV Reporter interviewing two ladies on the beach:
    3745733427_7a7aa0cf9f_o.jpg

Seal lover yelliing at people to stay off the beach:
    3746525072_102881a81c_o.jpg

Protest table:
    3745733261_637287375a_o.jpg

Feathered rat:
    3745733585_8aec16b4dc_o.jpg

The court case is on hold for now. The governor signed a bill giving control of the beach to the City, it doesn't go into effect til Jan 2010. For now, the seals have won. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2009
  2. Hopefully the feathered rat will not go on the beach and scare or stress the seals either.

Nice series Michael.

3. Excellent images. I had to look twice at your description of film and camera. Take a look, it's kind of difficult to stuff a roll into a "D80". LOL Really like the second shot, kind of reminds me of a movie director talking to the actors.

4. mhcfires

mhcfires

Aug 23, 2007
    El Cajon, CA
    Oops!:redface: Yeah, but I probably would get mad and cram it in anyway. I used my N80 for that shot. I think I was using a Tamron 55-200 lens. Not sure. I don't have a habit of taking notes, and I do have a number of lenses, although I generally travel light and carry only one lens. Thanks for noticcing my boo-boo

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    N80! I didn't know you even had one of them newfangled contraptions Michael.

Good impressions of a very interesting location. I have been there often myself. I've seen lots of pelicans and other creatures, but rarely seals. Now all they need is a shore approaching orca. That'll get them off the beach!

6. I was beginning to think Michael had some kind of "hybrid" camera! :biggrin:
    Interesting series here. Yeah, people and sea lions don't mix! Years ago a buddy and I were surfing at Swamis and a sea lion poked its head out of the water and my friend reached over to pet it and got a nasty bite on his hand!:smile:

7. mhcfires

mhcfires

Aug 23, 2007
    El Cajon, CA
    The N80 is my newest (in chronological age) of my cameras. I only bought it so that I could use Patty's lenses. I also have a D80, but it usually sits on the shelf. I have on occasion used it to chimp my exposures, but I would rather use my hand-held meter or fly by the seat of my pants with the 16's exposure rules. I would rather use one of my older cameras. They are more fun. :tongue:

8. Nice ones, Michael, I like the chick with the megaphone. ;o)

9. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    That's my fave too. It's so ... Collie-forny-ya!

10. GKR1

GKR1

Apr 19, 2007
    San Diego
    They should just dynamite the seawall and stop all the insanity and litigation LOL...

Nice set of pics.

11. mhcfires

mhcfires

Aug 23, 2007
    El Cajon, CA
    Would cost too much money for the permits to do the blasting. :frown:

12. LynnTX

LynnTX

Jun 23, 2008
    Texas
    If megaphone lady is so sensitive - how about cutting down on "noise pollution" - eh ?

13. mhcfires

mhcfires

Aug 23, 2007
    El Cajon, CA
    The real laugh is that the city was going to use a recorded barking dogs tape to scare the critters off the beach (like that would do the job:biggrin:)  Without getting political, as I said earlier, the whole thing is a joke. The baby seals do score high in the AWW! factor, but they won't be here til spring. :tongue:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.