La Jolla Seal Pool

The so-called Children's Pool in La Jolla has been taken over by the seals. I'm not going to take a stand either way on this issue, but it has been a hot topic and much money has been spent in litigation over who has the right to this little stretch of beach. I went down to check it out the other day, Ilford XP2 Super in Nikon N80.

Seals on the rocks:
3746524832_5c40365f03_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

TV Reporter interviewing two ladies on the beach:
3745733427_7a7aa0cf9f_o.jpg

Seal lover yelliing at people to stay off the beach:
3746525072_102881a81c_o.jpg

Protest table:
3745733261_637287375a_o.jpg

Feathered rat:
3745733585_8aec16b4dc_o.jpg

The court case is on hold for now. The governor signed a bill giving control of the beach to the City, it doesn't go into effect til Jan 2010. For now, the seals have won. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent images. I had to look twice at your description of film and camera. Take a look, it's kind of difficult to stuff a roll into a "D80". LOL Really like the second shot, kind of reminds me of a movie director talking to the actors.

Excellent images. I had to look twice at your description of film and camera. Take a look, it's kind of difficult to stuff a roll into a "D80". LOL Really like the second shot, kind of reminds me of a movie director talking to the actors.

Oops!:redface: Yeah, but I probably would get mad and cram it in anyway. I used my N80 for that shot. I think I was using a Tamron 55-200 lens. Not sure. I don't have a habit of taking notes, and I do have a number of lenses, although I generally travel light and carry only one lens. Thanks for noticcing my boo-boo

Real Name
Chris
N80! I didn't know you even had one of them newfangled contraptions Michael.

Good impressions of a very interesting location. I have been there often myself. I've seen lots of pelicans and other creatures, but rarely seals. Now all they need is a shore approaching orca. That'll get them off the beach!

I was beginning to think Michael had some kind of "hybrid" camera! :biggrin:
Interesting series here. Yeah, people and sea lions don't mix! Years ago a buddy and I were surfing at Swamis and a sea lion poked its head out of the water and my friend reached over to pet it and got a nasty bite on his hand!:smile:

The N80 is my newest (in chronological age) of my cameras. I only bought it so that I could use Patty's lenses. I also have a D80, but it usually sits on the shelf. I have on occasion used it to chimp my exposures, but I would rather use my hand-held meter or fly by the seat of my pants with the 16's exposure rules. I would rather use one of my older cameras. They are more fun. :tongue:

D

Deleted member 960

Nice ones, Michael, I like the chick with the megaphone. ;o)

They should just dynamite the seawall and stop all the insanity and litigation LOL...

Nice set of pics.

If megaphone lady is so sensitive - how about cutting down on "noise pollution" - eh ?

If megaphone lady is so sensitive - how about cutting down on "noise pollution" - eh ?

The real laugh is that the city was going to use a recorded barking dogs tape to scare the critters off the beach (like that would do the job:biggrin:) Without getting political, as I said earlier, the whole thing is a joke. The baby seals do score high in the AWW! factor, but they won't be here til spring. :tongue:

Latest threads

Top Bottom