Lab illustration ...

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Chris101, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    It's for an organic laboratory presentation about techniques. It's not really macro, but I took this picture of an old fashioned thiele (tee-lee) tube with the 60mm:

[​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Well i would venture to guess (TEE LEE) is a tad beyond me.

However, that is a fine image. Clear as a bell. Great color. Good Job.

cheers
    Gale

3. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    I loved chemistry in school. My favorite was soduim metal that is stored in kerosene. Once it absorbs any water moisture, pop, or BOOM depending on how much you had.

Very fun. Nice pic. I never used the thiele though.

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Heh heh, I'll try to catch a nice sodium generated mushroom cloud. The part I hate is wiping the burning sodium off the ceiling.

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Thanks, that is my goal with these illustrations. I'm trying to document some of the old lab techniques while we still do them. It's mostly microscale/electronic stuff now.

[geek=science]That thing is for testing the melting point of a powdered substance. There's a tiny bit of the powder (acetanilide) in a capillary tube near the bulb of the thermometer. You heat the oil in the tube with the little bunsen burner (the flame is tough to photograph realistically) and watch the stuff in the capillary. When it melts, read the thermometer, and voila![/geek]

6. Real techie picture Chris. I like it because it hold my interest. Well done.