1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Labor Day

Discussion in 'People' started by Lurker, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Of course it's impossible to spend labor day outside the pool. All pictures taken with D40 + 18-135 and (obviously) a Dicapac bag.

2819719723_16a569a269_b.

2819719895_1af8dc2cb3_o.
    NIKON D40    ---    18mm    f/10.0    1/400s    ISO 200

2819720163_98831ea44e_o.
    NIKON D40    ---    18mm    f/8.0    1/250s    ISO 200

2. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Some Fun Shots!! Good Job!

3. nice job, bart
    i love that first one

very cool

4. Very cool shots. whats a "dicapac bag? Could you post a link? We're big water people just not with my D200 !!

5. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Jim,

It is a big vinyl (or some other vinyl-like material) bag with a separate lens cover and water tight seals. Although not as robust as hard shell underwater cases, it is a lot cheaper as well (I paid around $120 for mine).

The biggest two problems with this bag are the fact that it is virtually impossible to change any setting on the camera, and that the sleeve containing the lens cannot be attached to the lens itself - if you don't grab the lens cover and press it against the lens the pictures will have some serious vignetting. The manual suggests that there is some kind of lens adapter ring that solves the problem but I haven't seen that thing yet.

The bag works very well. Watertightness is as good as with hard cases; one of the advantages of a bag is that the pressure inside the bag is the same as on the outside; so the net pressure on the seals is always close to zero. Dicapac suggests using the bag only in the pool or at the beach though - I assume they want to limit their liability.

The bag has three "fingers" that extend into the bag - one for shutter, two for the lens. Zooming in/out is possible (although cumbersome) and changing any other setting is not impossible but very, very hard. I just set the camera to "P" and in the pool that works fine (on the beach light and angles change a lot and "P" mode wasn't that convincing. Then again, when I was using the bag in the pool I had already doubled my experience with it).

It fits the D40 easily and I haven't tried out my D200 - not sure if it will fit (if it does, it will be a very tight fit). A german company, Ewa-marine pioneered the concept and has bags in similar sizes, but they're more expensive. The Korean Dicapac bag was perfect for me as the price allowed a good mix between quality (good enough for using a few times per year) and affordibility.

6. Adam73

Adam73 Guest

The first shot is awesome. Looks like a lot of fun to shoot.

7. Thanks! bookmarked!

8. Zelaya

Zelaya

Aug 20, 2007
    Maryland
    cool shots, thank you for sharing with us

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.