Lack of Z lenses - Nikon lets have an update please

FYI
This is what us Olympus guys have as our roadmap.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• ZERO specifics. on release of the roadmap.
    • You have to "try" to match the orange bands with focal length scale to guess what the focal length might be. But you have no clue about aperture.​
    • There is only ONE lens that they disclosed, the 150-400/4.5. And this is a "development" announcement for a projected 2020 release. Probably timed for the Olympics.​
    • The "High Magnification Zoom Lens" was not revealed until the 12-200 lens was released.​
  • No Time Frame AT ALL, on release of the roadmap.
    • Again the only ONE lens that they disclosed, the 150-400/4.5. And this is a "development" announcement for a projected 2020 release. Probably timed for the Olympics.​

And the Canon R system lens roadmap
With nothing after 2019.

1564375999579.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I have not found ANY lens roadmap for the Canon M50.

Attachments

You guys have Nikon lenses, and you can use them on the Z camera via the FTZ adapter.
So during the time that Nikon is fleshing out the lens landscape, you HAVE a lens to use.

The problem comes for someone buying into the Z system that does not have Nikon lenses.
They have a very different problem.
They can buy existing Z lenses, that is easy.
BUT, if the lens they want is not yet available (example something similar to the 200-500, which is not even on the roadmap), they either
  • wait years till the Z lens becomes available, or
  • they buy the F lens, or
  • they buy the F lens to use until a Z lens becomes available, then buy the Z lens.

You guys have Nikon lenses, and you can use them on the Z camera via the FTZ adapter.
So during the time that Nikon is fleshing out the lens landscape, you HAVE a lens to use.

The problem comes for someone buying into the Z system that does not have Nikon lenses.
They have a very different problem.
They can buy existing Z lenses, that is easy.
BUT, if the lens they want is not yet available (example something similar to the 200-500, which is not even on the roadmap), they either
- wait years till the Z lens becomes available, or
- they buy the F lens, or
- they buy the F lens to use until a Z lens becomes available, then buy the Z lens.
OK, we get your point, again!

BUT, if the lens they want is not yet available...they either
  • wait years till the Z lens becomes available, or
  • they buy the F lens, or
  • they buy the F lens to use until a Z lens becomes available, then buy the Z lens.
I wish every problem I've encountered over the decades had three viable solutions. This kind of situation you're explaining is typical anytime someone wants to switch to a disrupting technology and has to decide who the dance partner is going to be. When switching to mirrorless, if someone determines that a company other than Nikon is going to be a better dance partner, I think that's wonderful; not at all a problem.

Real Name
Don
ac12, relax. We're just having a beer here 🍻 and lens speculating. Think brewpub not board meeting. I'm new here too, trying the better understand new cafe friends, my new Z6, and Nikon i general, hopefully without annoying people in the process. :happy:

Real Name
David
ac12, relax. We're just having a beer here 🍻 and lens speculating. Think brewpub not board meeting. I'm new here too, trying the better understand new cafe friends, my new Z6, and Nikon i general, hopefully without annoying people in the process. :happy:
Not really sure @ac12 is the one that needs to relax. He seems fine with the current offering / solutions and while I'm we'd all like development to move at lightspeed, he's not the one complaining about it.

And I'll even be one of the first to say I have no interest in the Z until I get some kind of native telephoto, I don't like adapters.

My philosophy has been pretty simple (and while flawed, it’s not terrible). I bought back into Nikon after a total break for over three years. The Z6 is what brought me back.
When I made the decision, I went with the FTZ/24-70/4 combo so I’d have at least one lens (native) initially. I got on eBay (before the camera arrived) and started scoping out prices on the F lenses I had before. So far I’ve gotten good deals on a 70-200 VRII and a 500/4 AF-S II. I still want to replace my 14-24 and 50/1.4.
Currently, the 14-24, used and in good condition is around the same price as the Z series 14-30/4. I’m torn on this one because I enjoyed the 14-24 so much. The 14-30 takes filters. Now, with the FTZ and new Aurora Aperture filters, I can add them to my favorite wide zoom, and be all-in for around the same cost.
I used my nifty 50 quite a bit. While these are relatively inexpensive on eBay, I’m very intrigued by the 1.2 on the roadmap.

The main points here are that a) there are good options, and b) jumping into Nikon from scratch doesn’t have to involve a second mortgage. The prices I paid for the two lenses I’ve bought means, if I decide to swap for the upcoming Z mount, I won’t lose much money. My biggest concern right now is the prices Nikon is charging for the new mount. I won’t be able to buy the new 14-24 Z mount if it’s a $2500+ lens. Based on the cost of a new 24-70/2.8, it probably will be. The good news? Options! I’m betting the Z series 50/1.2 will be priced close to a grand. For my particular needs, the FTZ, pain that it is, will be a long term companion! And I’m pretty ok with that.

Native Micro 200mm f4 or similar would be very nice.

In the meantime Makro Planar, Micro Nikkor and Elmarit Rs are doing fine via FTZ and other adopters.

Wanting new native lens is all well and good but key advantage of mirrorless, particularly Z mount is compatibility with almost any optics, providing one is content with manual focusing. Of course F mount AFS G and E lenses autofocus.

The Nikon Z system lens roadmap is nowhere near complete.
There are MANY lenses missing; no macros, there is nothing longer than 200mm, the 24-120, 70-200/4, etc.
I would hope that Nikon would update the roadmap, but realistically, I am not going to hold my breath.
The lens that I am waiting for is the Z or should I call it the S-Line 24-120 f/4.

My issue is that at this point in time and on their road map for future lenses there doesn't seem to be any sign of macro lenses....and that is something I would especially want. I do not like using adapters and some of my lenses won't work with the FTZ anyway. That's one reason I'm casting my eyes in another direction.....
Unless Nikon or someone else makes one, there is no Z autofocus adapter for the mechanical autofocus AF and AF-D lenses.
It is a pitty that Nikon did not make an AF/AF-D version of the FTZ adapter.

However, given the mount change, I expected compatibility with some of the older lenses to end. There is only so far that you can drag the many different Nikon lens/camera couplings along, before it becomes too much of a burden. And the mount change was a good time to start with a clean sheet.

As much as I am a Nikon guy, this is where Canon beat Nikon. Yes, Canon made the big mount change from breach lock FD to bayonet EF, and that was PAINFUL. But as far as I know all the EF lenses are compatible with all the EF cameras.

Since I am no spring chicken, and getting older each and every day, I really don't have years to wait for Nikon to come up with the lenses that I want -- and since Sony DOES offer said lenses right now with a handy-dandy well-tricked out FF camera body upon which to put them, that is where I will probably be going when and if I do buy more camera gear.

I'm not going to replace an f mount lens just because a z comes out. With that said, here is my hopes for new z lens.
200mm f/2
105mm f/1.4
400mm f/2.8
200-400mm f/4

That is the roadmap I want to see.

Since I am no spring chicken, and getting older each and every day, I really don't have years to wait for Nikon to come up with the lenses that I want -- and since Sony DOES offer said lenses right now with a handy-dandy well-tricked out FF camera body upon which to put them, that is where I will probably be going when and if I do buy more camera gear.
I have sailed nothing but the Nikon ship and don't plan on jumping off, but if I was asked by someone starting out what brand to go with, I would steer them to Sony.

Nikon did not make an AF/AF-D version of the FTZ adapter.
I have four Nikon prime lenses, all of them AF or AF-D. I also have a Tokina 12-24 and a Tamron 90mm macro lens, both autofocus, and I don't know if they will autofocus with the FTZ adaptor. (Will they?) That's my total lens count.

Even so, I wouldn't expect Nikon to bring out a mirrorless system that allows me to use my really old lenses. That's because they also want to sell me new lenses, not just the camera body and its adapter.

When (if) I make the switch to mirrorless, it appears that I'm going to have to buy new lenses whether I go with Nikon or a competitor. That in itself doesn't put Nikon at a disadvantage. However, Nikon might be at a disadvantage with its native lenses compared to its competitors who went mirrorless long before Nikon.

I have four Nikon prime lenses, all of them AF or AF-D. I also have a Tokina 12-24 and a Tamron 90mm macro lens, both autofocus, and I don't know if they will autofocus with the FTZ adaptor. (Will they?) That's my total lens count.

Even so, I wouldn't expect Nikon to bring out a mirrorless system that allows me to use my really old lenses. That's because they also want to sell me new lenses, not just the camera body and its adapter.

When (if) I make the switch to mirrorless, it appears that I'm going to have to buy new lenses whether I go with Nikon or a competitor. That in itself doesn't put Nikon at a disadvantage. However, Nikon might be at a disadvantage with its native lenses compared to its competitors who went mirrorless long before Nikon.
I have only 4 Nikon lenses that would work on the FTZ adapter, and 2 are DX lenses, which I would not use on a Z. So only the two FX AF-S lenses, the 70-200 and 50/1.8. My other lenses are AF/AF-D. Yes, by dropping support for the AF/AF-D lenses, Nikon is indeed forcing us to buy new Z lenses.

Interestingly, this is also forcing / giving me the opportunity to redo my lens landscape.
My lens landscape is basically the same one that I had from my film and early digital days.
Now, I have different ideas about how I want my lens landscape to be. So now, I can start almost fresh.

And the Canon users are probably snickering at us, because they can use any of their EF lenses on the R camera, via the EF to R adapter.

No, Nikon IS at a disadvantage compared to Sony. Sony had many years to build and flesh in their lens landscape. Sony's days of a poor lens landscape is in the past. And they had several generations to improve their mirrorless cameras.

I have sailed nothing but the Nikon ship and don't plan on jumping off, but if I was asked by someone starting out what brand to go with, I would steer them to Sony.
Sony has become a tough competitor, and a long head start.

I would also look at micro 4/3 (Olympus and Panasonic).
They both have mature lens landscapes.

While everyone is being hard on Nikon and Canon, everyone forgets Sony only became interesting during the A9 and 3rd gen A7/R bodies. In fact I wouldn't have recommended Sony to anyone prior to those bodies. Nikon and Canon can come back and shift the market, especially with the Tokyo 2020 Olympics coming up. I seriously doubt they're going to let Sony take all the glory. If it doesn't happen, well I'll eat my words and switch entirely to Sony! :D

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom