Lack of Z lenses - Nikon lets have an update please

While everyone is being hard on Nikon and Canon, everyone forgets Sony only became interesting during the A9 and 3rd gen A7/R bodies. In fact I wouldn't have recommended Sony to anyone prior to those bodies. Nikon and Canon can come back and shift the market, especially with the Tokyo 2020 Olympics coming up. I seriously doubt they're going to let Sony take all the glory. If it doesn't happen, well I'll eat my words and switch entirely to Sony! :D
I hope you are right! My local camera store is primarily a Nikon dealer. They aren’t even currently carrying the Z bodies. The sales clerk told me that the owner doesn’t like mirrorless. I hope that there aren’t many stores with that attitude or the Z cameras will have a hard time taking off.

While everyone is being hard on Nikon and Canon, everyone forgets Sony only became interesting during the A9 and 3rd gen A7/R bodies. In fact I wouldn't have recommended Sony to anyone prior to those bodies. Nikon and Canon can come back and shift the market, especially with the Tokyo 2020 Olympics coming up. I seriously doubt they're going to let Sony take all the glory. If it doesn't happen, well I'll eat my words and switch entirely to Sony! :D
Nikon and Canon have the established based of pro users that will stay with them, IF they take care of them.
And a "backyard" Olympics would be a great venue for showing off new gear.

I'm hoping for a 2nd generation of bodies (like a D500/D5 in Z), and more Z lenses for the Tokyo Olympics.
The 24-70/2.8 and 70-200/2.8 had to come out for the Olympics. But what else in the treasure box?

Nikon and Canon have the established based of pro users that will stay with them, IF they take care of them.
And a "backyard" Olympics would be a great venue for showing off new gear.

I'm hoping for a 2nd generation of bodies (like a D500/D5 in Z), and more Z lenses for the Tokyo Olympics.
The 24-70/2.8 and 70-200/2.8 had to come out for the Olympics. But what else in the treasure box?
The Z bodies aren't far off from A7/R III bodies in terms of functionality. The lack of the dual card slots and no vertical grip was a bit of dumb move from Nikon which probably cost them some sales. Though Sony is showing they're relying on the same cookie cutter formula of their RX100 series by not improving the ergonomics on the A7R IV body and just changing out the internal tech. Seems sort of like a marketing ploy without really improving anything.

Using both Sony mirrorless and Nikon DSLRs, neither are perfect by any means, hence I'm keeping my feet in both camps until one of them truly gets it right!

The Z bodies aren't far off from A7/R III bodies in terms of functionality. The lack of the dual card slots and no vertical grip was a bit of dumb move from Nikon which probably cost them some sales. Though Sony is showing they're relying on the same cookie cutter formula of their RX100 series by not improving the ergonomics on the A7R IV body and just changing out the internal tech. Seems sort of like a marketing ploy without really improving anything.

Using both Sony mirrorless and Nikon DSLRs, neither are perfect by any means, hence I'm keeping my feet in both camps until one of them truly gets it right!
Is there NO provision for a vertical grip on the Z6 and 7?
If so, it sounds like Nikon shaved the requirements list to meet a deadline.
A vertical grip with a 2nd battery would seem to be a standard accessory today.

With the amount of resources available to the Sony camera division and Sony's growing sensor market, I believe this is only the beginning of the their domination that we're seeing.
Even corporate and Canon and Fuji don't have the resources available that corporate Sony has.....

So ah, when exactly are ya' switching completely too Sony? ;)

With the amount of resources available to the Sony camera division and Sony's growing sensor market, I believe this is only the beginning of the their domination that we're seeing.
Even corporate and Canon and Fuji don't have the resources available that corporate Sony has.....

So ah, when exactly are ya' switching completely too Sony? ;)
Yet with all of Sony's corporate resources, they couldn't design an ergonomically better A7R IV with a larger gap between the grip and lens mount? Sony does a lot of things right, but they miss the boat on other things. It's little things like that keep Sony from completely dominant.

Also there are times when I just don't like an EVF especially for focus tracking action on telephoto lenses. The OVF is still ideal in many shooting scenarios especially when you want your camera ready to shoot and don't want to worry about battery drain or waking from sleep.

Unless Nikon or someone else makes one, there is no Z autofocus adapter for the mechanical autofocus AF and AF-D lenses.
It is a pitty that Nikon did not make an AF/AF-D version of the FTZ adapter.

However, given the mount change, I expected compatibility with some of the older lenses to end. There is only so far that you can drag the many different Nikon lens/camera couplings along, before it becomes too much of a burden. And the mount change was a good time to start with a clean sheet.

As much as I am a Nikon guy, this is where Canon beat Nikon. Yes, Canon made the big mount change from breach lock FD to bayonet EF, and that was PAINFUL. But as far as I know all the EF lenses are compatible with all the EF cameras.
Only F mount AF-D lenses are incompatible with the FTZ. When viewed only looking at that, it looks like a lot of glass. If you consider Nikon’s entire catalogue of lenses, the fact that the vast majority ARE compatible (fully), it’s pretty impressive.
Canon fired a shot across Nikon’s bow in the early nineties when they enlarged their lens mount. They did so to make a better AF system. It worked. They mopped the floor with Nikon for well over a decade. Nikon painted themselves into a corner, doubling down on the F mount, making incremental improvements over the years. This mount change was necessary, and even though I’m not a huge fan of using an adapter, I’m thrilled Nikon put in the effort to keep their vast historic catalogue relevant.

Real Name
David

Never liked any of the Sony cameras I've tried, they just don't feel right.

You know if you look at what they've released, what's on the roadmap, the rumors for future bodies, and factor in the Olympics; the release schedule might make more sense. They seem to have always planned their big gear releases around major sporting events. They could make a big splash with a Z8 or Z9 the native 24-70 / 70-200 and adapted big glass supplementing the proven DSLRs. The Z6 and Z7 release timed for a good year before to help work out issues (not that I like the though of being test subjects but...). Think about interviews with sideline guys trying out a Z as they compare them with their D5's or D850's.

Real Name
Steve
I ran both Sony and Nikon for a bit. Sold D850 and got an early Z7. Loved the feel and EVF, but not the AF for sports, and sold it after a couple of months to a friend. With the 2.0 release, Nikon fixed 90% of my issues, so I sold A9 and bought another Z7. I'm perfectly fine with it now, it does everything I need it to do and feels like a well made piece of kit (Sony never felt as "right" as Nikon). I recently sold off the remainder of my Sony gear (A7RIII, lenses) and wasn't interested in the A7RIV when I saw it. Resolution is fine, but file size is getting to be an issue and the top plate doesn't feel as well configured to me as Nikon or even the A7RIII. I am interested in the next model by Nikon, either a mirrorless D500 or the Z8. I haven't missed the Sonys once, and love the tactile quality of the Nikon. Image quality is a wash, I can work with either. If I have one pang, it is that the 100-400 handled better than the Nikon 200-500, but that's a niggle at best.

I am still convinced that when all of this settles out, Nikon mirrorless will exist in the same sequence as their DSLRs; Z5/D500 in APS-C, Z6 goes away like D610, Z7 becomes D750 mirrorless equivalent, and Z8 is the true D850 in mirrorless with dual card slots, round eyepiece, and a grip. That means the D850 replacement gets the same 61mp chip as the Z8, and the D750 replacement jumps to the Z7 sensor.

Through all of this movement, one thing has proven itself true over and over, I love my Fujis. X-Pro2, X-H1 and X100F never let me down. Lenses and bodies are top-notch and colors are always excellent. If I didn't shoot for publications, I'd shoot all Fuji.

I've had 2 cameras with vertical grips, one I added on and the other was built in. Never cared for them and never warmed up to them.
Every car I've owned has had one battery and 1 gas tank. I have the original spare tire, untouched, in my 2003 Subaru Forester.
Thinking about a company needing to better respond to it's vocal customer base and its bottom line makes me think about the Boeing 737 Max :eek:
Perhaps Nikon needs to sell cameras as most auto manufactures sell cars and trucks-- you pick and choose from a catalogue adding things as you go along . . .
In the meantime I'm gonna be out shooting with my lowly Z6 and 24-70 f/4. :joyful:

You know if you look at what they've released, what's on the roadmap, the rumors for future bodies, and factor in the Olympics; the release schedule might make more sense. They seem to have always planned their big gear releases around major sporting events. They could make a big splash with a Z8 or Z9 the native 24-70 / 70-200 and adapted big glass supplementing the proven DSLRs. The Z6 and Z7 release timed for a good year before to help work out issues (not that I like the though of being test subjects but...). Think about interviews with sideline guys trying out a Z as they compare them with their D5's or D850's.
I have this theory on why Nikon didn't do dual card slots or a vertical shutter grip for the current Z6/Z7...I think Nikon did so because they actually plan to eventually drop the Z6/Z7 in price while niching in a higher priced, pro-spec'ed Z body matched with the 2.8 Z mount lenses they're releasing. They kept the Z6/Z7 as simple as possible from an economic stand point. Part of the reason I think that is due to the abundance of Z bodies on the market. They're virtually available everywhere (while I was in Japan they seemed well stocked), which means Nikon must be churning out a large amount of inventory. It also makes more sense Nikon just lower the price on these bodies, as opposed to manufacturing a budget priced Z (ala the Canon RP). They're taking a page from Sony's model of keeping old models current while lowering price.

Eventually they'll move prosumer production to Thailand, while Nikon Japan starts producing the pro spec'ed Z camera. Nikon is fairly predictable if you follow their past manufacturing trends! ;)

Real Name
Don Roy
I've had 2 cameras with vertical grips. Never cared for them and never warmed up to them.
Agreed. My wrist rotates 90° just fine.

I have the original spare tire, untouched, in my 2003 Subaru Forester.
The industry says tires over 6 yrs old are unsafe. I don't know if that includes donuts in a dark trunk or not, but... food for thought.

If they keep/start lowering the Z 6/Z 7 pricing It will leave a bad taste in my mouth. I, possibly stupidly paid a high price for my Z 7. With the resale falling as it is, if Nikon adds to this by lowering the price I will loose confidence in Nikon. Another thought, If the firmware updates stop I think the Z 7 will become an afterthought.

Last edited:
I've had 2 cameras with vertical grips, one I added on and the other was built in. Never cared for them and never warmed up to them.
Every car I've owned has had one battery and 1 gas tank. I have the original spare tire, untouched, in my 2003 Subaru Forester.
Thinking about a company needing to better respond to it's vocal customer base and its bottom line makes me think about the Boeing 737 Max :eek:
Perhaps Nikon needs to sell cameras as most auto manufactures sell cars and trucks-- you pick and choose from a catalogue adding things as you go along . . .
In the meantime I'm gonna be out shooting with my lowly Z6 and 24-70 f/4. :joyful:
Personally I don't like the bulk and weight of the battery grip either.
But . . .

The problem as I experienced it is the reduced battery life/run time of the mirrorless cameras.
Because of all the electronics, mirrorless cameras suck battery power much faster than a dSLR. So, short of a LARGER battery, those of us who shoot long events want a 2nd battery to extend the time between battery changes. With my Olympus and Sync IS (IBIS + lens IS) on, the 2-1/2 hour run time, makes me have to plan when to change batteries. I've been burned by the "battery empty" message a few too many times.

I'm still getting used to the reduced run time of a mirrorless, and pre-planning for battery change has yet to become a habit. I'm trying.
With my D70 then D7200, I shot all day on a single battery. The shorter mirrorless run time is taking me more time than I expected, to get used to.

This is a place where I feel that Nikon stumbled.
Using the same battery as the D850 saves on making a new battery.
But with the Z cameras sucking more power, we the users have to buy MORE batteries, to shoot the same amount of time.
I carry FOUR batteries when I go out for a day's shooting with my EM1-mk1, as I've often been at the end of battery #3 at the end of the day.​
Then I have to charge 3 or 4 batteries at the end of the day, to get ready for the next day.​

Olympus learned, and went to a 40% larger battery on their EM1-mk2.
I think Sony also went to a larger battery.
I expect Nikon will also go to a larger battery, at least for the pro cameras.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom