Lack of Z lenses - Nikon lets have an update please

If they keep/start lowering the Z 6/Z 7 pricing It will leave a bad taste in my mouth. I, possibly stupidly paid a high price for my Z 7. The resale falling as it is if Nikon adds to this by lowering the price I will loose confidence in Nikon. Another thought, If the firmware updates stop I think the Z 7 will become an afterthought.
Nope, you got to use your Z7.

While at a lower cost, I will be a year or two behind you. So you will have used your Z7 maybe two years longer than when I finally get mine.

The "early adopter" model is not uncommon, especially in electronics.
Just look at the prices of larger flat panel TVs, compared to what they were 5 years ago.

I think the mirrorless model for FW has been set.
The vendors are expected to update the FW. And unlike hardware, they can add stuff that did not make the initial release date. And some of the features of a new camera model can be ported back to an older camera model via a FW upgrade. Olympus ported back some of the technology/features of the EM1X to the EM1-mk2 via FW.

But like other things, they will hit a point in time where they won't ADD more features, just fix bugs, or even stop completely. Upgrading the firmware does not bring in any revenue, just more cost. And they will want you to buy the new cameras.

I have perfectly functioning computers, but Microsoft stopped support for Windows XP. And I can't install the later versions of Windows on those computers, cuz they require MORE system resources to run. And since MS has dropped support for XP, so have the various software vendors. So, MS made those computers obsolete. Thus forcing me to buy a new computer.​

If Nikon does a “slash and burn” with Z6/7 prices, it will be the first time they’ve done that. They always drop the initial price (for everything except the D# series) and often include add-ons, but I don’t think they would cut the prices much more than they already have. That tactic would frustrate a lot of existing users, and motivate buyers to wait long lengths of time when considering the next models.

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
Actually they did drop the D2H price drastically, and left me and others, quite upset. But i got over it, i guess if i want loyalty, i should look to my dog. nikon cares mostly about its bottom line, not its customers.

Thats why brand loyalty, is not a thing for me.

If Nikon does a “slash and burn” with Z6/7 prices, it will be the first time they’ve done that. They always drop the initial price (for everything except the D# series) and often include add-ons, but I don’t think they would cut the prices much more than they already have. That tactic would frustrate a lot of existing users, and motivate buyers to wait long lengths of time when considering the next models.

The D750 price has dropped and bounced up and down.
I have been watching the price for about a year, trying to decide when to get it.
Then the Z6 enters the picture, and muddles it up.

And now that I've used a mirrorless, I somewhat more inclined to go with a Z system than a D750/810.

Real Name
David
AF and AF-D. Both use the screwdriver autofocus mechanism.
The AF-D is a variation of the AF lens.
Actually "AF-D" doesn't exist, it's just a designation the public created (and I'm as guilty as the next in referring to it). It's actually referenced as AF with the D after the aperture like the "AF Zoom-NIKKOR 80-200mm f/2.8D ED". There have also been a few AF lenses without the "D", but with a "G" that are not AF-S, they have the screw drive. One that come to mind is the AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED. And there's at least one AF-S WITH the "D", the AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D IF-ED; just because Nikon (just like everyone else) likes to keep things simple.

Yet with all of Sony's corporate resources, they couldn't design an ergonomically better A7R IV with a larger gap between the grip and lens mount? Sony does a lot of things right, but they miss the boat on other things. It's little things like that keep Sony from completely dominant.

Also there are times when I just don't like an EVF especially for focus tracking action on telephoto lenses. The OVF is still ideal in many shooting scenarios especially when you want your camera ready to shoot and don't want to worry about battery drain or waking from sleep.
Who cares about ERGO design when they're out selling Nikon and Canon?
Like I said in a previous post, it's a consumer market now and no longer an artists market :happy:

Real Name
David
And David corrected both of us.
It can be confusing. I think where I first REALLY noticed the distinction was in the push/pull 80-200 f/2.8 and 180mm f/2.8 prime. The 80-200 P/P has some other visible differences, but I'm not sure there are any visible differences in the 1988 - 1993 and 1993 - present 180mm non - D and D prime.

It can be confusing. I think where I first REALLY noticed the distinction was in the push/pull 80-200 f/2.8 and 180mm f/2.8 prime. The 80-200 P/P has some other visible differences, but I'm not sure there are any visible differences in the 1988 - 1993 and 1993 - present 180mm non - D and D prime.
The push/pull 80-200ƒ2.8 was my GO-TO glass for a number of years!!!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom